Power steering questions

johnny o

I back out of my driveway today and noticed a big puddle and line follow my car out. Then I noticed my power steering wasn't working. I fill it back up and it only leaks out when the car is running. Is this the pump or is it one of the lines? Incase it is the pump I have 2 3.8L LX pumps if they are the same? I looked under it with it running and it just seems to be a solid line of fluid coming out :) but I can't tell from where. Any help as usual would be great.

It is probably the high pressure line. Mine shot fluid right onto the header but only when I turned the wheel. The line is a bear to replace.

I wish I didn't, but I do feel your pain

johnny o said:
I back out of my driveway today and noticed a big puddle and line follow my car out. Then I noticed my power steering wasn't working. I fill it back up and it only leaks out when the car is running. Is this the pump or is it one of the lines? Incase it is the pump I have 2 3.8L LX pumps if they are the same? I looked under it with it running and it just seems to be a solid line of fluid coming out :) but I can't tell from where. Any help as usual would be great.

Is it flowing down the lower IC tube? If so then it is probably the fitting on the high pressure line. A new line will run about 40 bucks and you can get them from Checker/Advanced, Autozone or Pepboyz.

Is if flowing down the K-member near the oil filter? if so.... guess what it's the high pressure line itself being pinched by sagging motor mounts. see above but add a lot of time and money for new motor mounts.

I replaced my line last weekend because of a bad fitting, just installed a motor and had to disconnect the line. Next time I'm just pulling the pump and setting it aside, this has been far more trouble than it was worth. The sad part is, it's still leaking at the fitting so I may need to replace the seals on the EVO controller (Variable assist steering).

If it is only flowing when the motor is running then it is the high pressure line. The low pressure line would probably drain overnight if it was bad.

Sorry I couldn't have good news for you, but you might want to check the fittings at the low pressure line that leads from the rack, to the cooler (front passenger side under the bumper), back to the pump reservoir.

To get the pump out you need to pull the upper intercooler(IC) tube and the IC. Then either pull the pump, or the left side accessory bracket to get to the high pressure fitting on the back of the pump. use a Flare nut wrench when you tighten it, if you can. It helps keep the fitting from deforming (who's bright idea was it to make a high pressure fitting out of aluminum).

probably high pressure line i went thru 2 lines in 6 months till i figured out my motor mounts were worn out and my engine was sagging and laying on the cross member.so the high pressure line was rubbing on cross member and cut a hole thru both of them.i bought new style solid mounts that super coupe performance sells which puts the engine back up to orginal height.and wow it brought the engine back up about 1 inch.i was wondering why it was so hard to change the oil filter on it.now there is alot of clearence to change it.haven't had any more problems with the hoses since.1st hose went out 3 days after i bought it.i was like son of a b@iyu.hope that helps u

I've got a pretty good idea of what it is now since it is dripping from the k-member. I will take it to a shop and they can replace the motor mounts too. thnx for the help guys, now I know what it is..

Back