PDA

View Full Version : Safety nut for front hub necesary??????

wingrg
05-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Hi! Another question :confused: I was changing the front hubs, nuts and a few things in my 89SC / 5 Speed, the only thing that i can't find in a local automotive store or Ford automotive store it's the safety nut that goes in the front hub, I know is a safety thing, but this nut it's really necessary or i can use another thing for safety? :confused: . Any advice going to be apreciate.

HSKR
05-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Hi! Another question :confused: I was changing the front hubs, nuts and a few things in my 89SC / 5 Speed, the only thing that i can't find in a local automotive store or Ford automotive store it's the safety nut that goes in the front hub, I know is a safety thing, but this nut it's really necessary or i can use another thing for safety? :confused: . Any advice going to be apreciate.

Buy it from Ford. I think it's a dealer only item and isn't expensive at all.

fast Ed
05-14-2004, 09:48 AM
You can put your original nut back on temporarily. But it should be replaced, they are supposed to be a one-time use only piece.

cheers,
Ed N.

TbirdSCFan
05-14-2004, 10:17 AM
I reused the nut on mine, but yes its better to buy a new one. Napa sells them. I was too lazy to go buy there and purchase one and haven't had a problem with the old one so far... no wobble, no noises... On the other hand, if something were to go wrong, probably wouldn't be much of a warning other than having the wheel fall off.. :eek: :eek: On second thought, I think I'm going to go get a new one. One problem though is finding a big enough torque wrench for 200lbs. None of the parts stores I called had anything like that. I used a big breaker bar and just sort of guessed at how much to torque it based on how hard I had to pull to loosen it.

Like your avatar Ed.

LJGriggs
05-14-2004, 10:50 AM
I picked up a torque wrench at Home Depot that ranges from 50 to 250ft/lbs. It cost somewhere around $80.00 (if I remember correctly) and has a nice hardshell case (like a custom pool cue :D ). It's a "big sucker" (about 2ft long) and it came in real handy when I replaced all my front suspension parts. Non of the local auto parts stores around my area had any wrenches that went above about 100ft/lbs. Now I just need to invest in a good low-end wrench.

Turbo351
05-14-2004, 11:35 AM
Definitely replace it.

I picked up a torque wrench at Home Depot that ranges from 50 to 250ft/lbs. It cost somewhere around $80.00 (if I remember correctly) and has a nice hardshell case (like a custom pool cue :D ). It's a "big sucker" (about 2ft long) and it came in real handy when I replaced all my front suspension parts. Non of the local auto parts stores around my area had any wrenches that went above about 100ft/lbs. Now I just need to invest in a good low-end wrench.

vancouverBC
05-14-2004, 01:13 PM
If you want to avoid wheel bearing problems, you have to replace the hub nut every time you remove it. They are a 3 piece design and something inside breaks when you reverve the torque. Thats is why it will not hold the 240ft lb needed for the axle nuts a second time. If you take your car to Ford, they should torque it for you, sometimes for free. For anyone new to torque wrenches, you have to move the setting back to 0 (zero) after every use or else it won't be any good. 1 more thing, the torque wrench is least accurate on the ends of its rate scale so trying to get 250 torque from a 250 rated wrench may not be that good. I have a friend that works on big trucks and 250 falls in the mid range on his wrench but its pretty long too. Good luck

wingrg
05-14-2004, 09:19 PM
;) Weel guys thanks i defenetly going to replace the nuts this week, as i understand the torque for this nut is 250# Right? Well thanks to all ;)

vancouverBC
05-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Yes, the shop manual states 188 to 254lb ft for all of the nuts whether front or back. Good luck

TbirdSCFan
05-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Haynes manual has it as 188 to 254 which is quite a spread; I'd just go for 200 and call it done.

Duffy Floyd
05-14-2004, 09:38 PM
For accuracy sake you should only use the middle 2/3 of the span of a torque wrench. So as an example if you had a 100 Ft Lb wrench you should use it to tighten to a spec of between about 16.5 Ft-Lbs to 83.5 Ft-Lbs. For a value higher than the upper limit stated get a wrench with a higher range. For a value lower than the lower limit get one with a smaller range. I bought a 3/4" 400 Ft Lbs toorque wrench when I did my suspension work.

sho taurus
05-14-2004, 11:27 PM
NAPA loans out parts too.i think i seen one today on the rack