help, put back together, wont even turn over!

Shooter_Jay

I took it apart down to the injectors, cleaned them, put it back together and it felt like it was running on 4 cylinders maybe. Took it back down to the injectors, tested them all, then put it back together. Now I go to start it, and it's acting like the [battery] terminals need to be cleaned or something. So I cleaned the [battery] terminals and it's still doing the same thing. The lights and everything work fine, as soon as I turn the key to start it clicks and everything goes dead until I turn the key back off then after several seconds everything comes back on. One thing, after I got it mostly apart the second time I realized that I forgot to depressurize the fuel system so I tried to turn it over with the intake and SC off but it wouldn't turn over like now. I didn't detatch any ground wires I don't think. Did I damage something or blow a fuse or fusible link or something? I'm kinda stumped, please help, I miss my SC!!! :confused:

Last edited:
Does it click like the battery is low? It could of ran the battery low if you had the hood light on the hole time you worked on it. Also, check and make sure all your connections are clean and tight. You could have corrosion and not see it.

thanks, but like I said, all the lights work fine, ie full charge on the battery, headlights nice and bright. I also cleaned my battery terminals thoroughly so they should be connecting fine. I was gonna try jump-starting it from my truck but didn't bother because the battery is so strong, headlights nice and bright.

You could have fried your starter or solenoid.... or flooded the cylinders with fuel.
Check your oil and see if it smells like fuel....

well it can't be because it's flooded because one, it never turned over to flood it, and two, it's not turning over at all, if it was flooded it would turn over just not fire up right? Thanks for trying to help though. Just got home, gonna go tear into it AGAIN!

Try jumping your starter solenoid. Turn the key to the on position and use a jumper wire between the two big posts on the starter solenoid and see what happens.

Shooter_Jay said:
I took it apart down to the injectors, cleaned them, put it back together and it felt like it was running on 4 cylinders maybe. :

Could have flooded...check your oil

watch for big spark if your jumping the solenoid :D

Darkside said:
Try jumping your starter solenoid. Turn the key to the on position and use a jumper wire between the two big posts on the starter solenoid and see what happens.

Funny, I had some company show up and we're lookin at it drinking a few beverages and I explain why it's not gonna start up for five minutes and turn the key and it hesitates a half a second then it started up. Ran as smooth at least as I can remember lately. Idled pretty good except for varying but I expected that because I had the battery disconnected. It started idling a little low and then stalled. Now it's acting like it was. I took off the cover and jumped the terminals on the sonenoid about ten times and all I got was a little spark. Um, now that I think about it I had the key off lol. Does that matter? Oops lemme try with the key on!...

Ok, key on jumping the solenoid terminals didn't work, just a few little sparks when I made full contact. Maybe I'll take the whole thing off and clean the terminals and try again. Should I replace my starter maybe? Where should I get it?

Two years ago I thought maybe I should replace my starter. I think I'll try that then. Anybody have any good/bad starter purchase info for me?

Shooter_Jay said:
Two years ago I thought maybe I should replace my starter. I think I'll try that then. Anybody have any good/bad starter purchase info for me?

Mine behaved very similar except it actually started, just turned slow. Finally quit altogether. The starter was toast.

A typical parts store reman should be fine. That's all I've ever bought for any of my vehicles.

Your battery could be dead as well. Or at least dying. Just because it will run the lights doesn't mean it has enough power to turn the starter motor over. Which is why all the electrical dies when you turn the key over, and also could explin why it started once, idled a little then died and wouldn't start again. Unless you take it to a parts store to get checked, you don't really know.

It is very possible to have a battery that reads 12.6 volts (Fully charged should read this) and still not have enough juice to start it. This is commonly referd to as a "Dead cell". Try getting another battery or 1 of those battery packs and see what happens. When you jump hte solenoid, you should get a nice, big brite spark. Should make you almost jump back when it happens. If not, then I would check your battery. A dead starter will still have a good spark, just wont turn over or be real slow.

Back