5-point safety harness installation

quick35th

Hey I was wandering if anyone has ever put in a 5-point harness before in their SC without a cage? I bought harnesses for the driver and passenger seats today and went to install them and I was baffled on how they should be mounted. It looks like I will need some other mounting devices to get the belts in place. Has anyone run into this problem and can steer me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Shane

ps- the 5-point harnesses I got today are made by G-Force racing gear.

Really...there's no way to mount them without having a support run across behind the seats. You have to mount the shoulder belts straight back from the passenger...so...you HAVE to have a mounting place that is behind the seats. Mounting to the floor is dangerous to the passengers in that...if you were to being to go forward, the belts would start to compress your spine as you traveled forward.

Sorry to burst your bubble...but really there doesn't seem to be a way to put in a harness without having some brace behind the seats, which would hinder backseat activity (that kind or not ;) ) Unless that doesn't matter, in which case have fun coming up with something to show us all!!!

Nick

Well... this leaves me with a few options. I could either go to some of the local road race shops and see if they have any mounting pieces that might work, or I could spend some time after work in the shop fabricating something up so that it will bolt right in.

This was how I thought I was going to mount the harness:

I figured that I could remove the two nuts that hold the rear of the seat in place and hook the lap belts in there. Then if there was room I would either put the sholder belts in the same place or if they reached I was going to run the sholder belts to the back seat where the seat and seat belts mount.

When I was looking at the car yesterday I realized that I might not be able to attach the lap belts to the rear of the seat. Granted out of the box they wont even get close to the bolt, but when the seat is moved backwards the mounting hardware might be in the way.

Keep the ideas coming!

Shane

UPDATE:

On Monday or Tuesday me and a few people from work are going to make some custom brackets to mount the harnesses onto.

I am going to mount the sholder straps to the back seat so long as they reach. I dont use the back seat much let alone drive the car much at all so that wont be a problem.

Shane

What about making a bar that goes from the drivers side to the passenger side and mounts Horizontially right by the rear of the door in front of the rear seats? Then you can have a seat support to keep the front seats from going back to far, but also a place to mount the shoulder belts. Plus, this would provide some kind of torsional stiffness to the car. Or just spen the money and buy a 6 point bar and bolt it in.

None2Slow said:
What about making a bar that goes from the drivers side to the passenger side and mounts Horizontially right by the rear of the door in front of the rear seats? Then you can have a seat support to keep the front seats from going back to far, but also a place to mount the shoulder belts. Plus, this would provide some kind of torsional stiffness to the car. Or just spen the money and buy a 6 point bar and bolt it in.

Well if I were to fab up a bar then it wouldn't be FS class legal in the SCCA. Also, I dont want to do anything to the car that wouldn't be reversable (aka, holes in the side of the interior). Its just a much cleaner seat-up doing it the way I want to run it.

Shane

Not sure on a 5-point harness, but a 4-point or 3-point wouldn't be too hard to do. Figuring out a way to hook the lap belts to the seats would be the real trickky part. For the 3-point harness, they make an adpater that will allow you to "buckle" the shoulder strap into the seat belt buckle in the back seats. The 4-point harness, if you didn't care too much about rear passengers, you could remove the seat back and attatch the harnesses in there.

Did you come up with anything yet? I'd like to see some pics when you are done. I'm thinking of putting Simpson 5-point harnesses in my car.

Brandon said:
Did you come up with anything yet? I'd like to see some pics when you are done. I'm thinking of putting Simpson 5-point harnesses in my car.

I have a couple of ideas floting around right now. I have been talking to many poeple at work (jegster) and have been getting different ideas. I built one mach-up out of carboard that I might persue and a few others.

Why would you want simpson harnesses? I mean, no offence to simpson, I like their stuff, and originally was going to go with them, but they are to proud of it. They want more than twice as much as G-Force want for their 5-point harness. They want something like $180 each for a cam lock 5-point and I got a latch togather G-Force 5-point for $40 each.

You decide.

I will post back when I get something togather.

Shane

Back