To buy or not to buy my 1st SC

Dahoopd

Hello All:
I have the opportunity to puchase a 93 SC 5 speed for $500. It has a blown head gasket. The car is in great shape save for the aforementioned problem and some ignorance concerning interior care.(small problem) I was told that If I replace the head gaskets the bottom end will then give. The T-Bird SC has always been appealing to me but, I have never owned one. I have only heard horror stories of a money pit. The car has 128k on it and owner says its been babied. I must look naive. Anyway, is this a safe bet for me to snatch up and restore. I have restored two 86 convertable GT's. They were fun, but no size or luxury to them. Any info would be greatly appreciated in sending me in the right direction.

Buy it...it sounds like a good deal
You can part it out and get double your money back if you decide not to fix it. :D

I know of many people that have replaced headgaskets and gone several thousands of miles without the bottom going and only 1 person where the bottome let go. That was his fault for not changeing the oil and driving it almost 100 miles with water/oil for lubrication. Not a good mix if you ask me. I would buy it, the look in the classified section for some interior parts. You cant go wrong either way. Part it or keep it, your money ahead.

If it's located in MA you should not buy it and tell me where it is for sale. Otherwise I would buy it if I were you and were pretty adventurous with the wrenches and electronic gadgets and have a spare vehicle.

If you are mechanically inclined enough that a headgasket job on an SC is not intimidating, then go for it. If the oil is sludgy from water being in it, then you are going to have to pull the motor and change the bearings. It is not necessary to pull the entire motor apart to do so. You can pull the crank without removing the pistons or you could also roll the bearings in without removing the crank if you are good. ;)

If the oil is free of water then there is no reason not to change the headgaskets and go for it. My XR7 has 180K on it and it blew headgaskets at about 120K. I've never pulled the motor or removed the oil pan. It also gets abused at the track regularily. I would recommend buying a mechanical oil pressure guage, connecting it (even if temorarily), change the oil, and run the engine enough to a)flush out the old oil, and b) get a true oil pressure reading. My 180K mile motor makes 65psi at cold idle. :D No worries here.

XR7 Dave said:
If you are mechanically inclined enough that a headgasket job on an SC is not intimidating, then go for it. If the oil is sludgy from water being in it, then you are going to have to pull the motor and change the bearings. It is not necessary to pull the entire motor apart to do so. You can pull the crank without removing the pistons or you could also roll the bearings in without removing the crank if you are good. ;)

If the oil is free of water then there is no reason not to change the headgaskets and go for it. My XR7 has 180K on it and it blew headgaskets at about 120K. I've never pulled the motor or removed the oil pan. It also gets abused at the track regularily. I would recommend buying a mechanical oil pressure guage, connecting it (even if temorarily), change the oil, and run the engine enough to a)flush out the old oil, and b) get a true oil pressure reading. My 180K mile motor makes 65psi at cold idle. :D No worries here.

How can I tell if there is water in the oilif it is not noticable by the eye. Also, How can I change the bearings with out pulling the motor...is this a nightmare. I have done many mods and work to the Ford 302's, but I have never tackled a car with an SC on it. I am not intimidated by much, but the SC intimidates me, as I would like to do to others when it is finally running. Thanks for the reply.

To change the bearings without pulling the motor would require removal of the K member and most of the front suspension. You could have the oil analyzed or tell just by looking at it. Pull a valve cover and look for oil that looks like pudding.

if you decide to buy I'll et you know 2 things

1) you need alot (and I mean laot of patience)
2) alot ofd money

these cars are money pits. everyday or week or month something is gonna go

sad to say but i still love thse cars

Back