weird radiator problem

trife86

hey guys anyway ill try to break it down the best i can

new radiator about 2 months old. the cap i had on there i guess when pressure builds up it would leak out from the top of the cap enough that i will see smoke here and there.. so i replaced the cap and this one also leaks. im starting to think i might not be putting the cap on right. i dont see what can be wrong here. it does make me loose alot of pressure in the cooling system and i loose coolant itself by this. it will give about a drop every second when it gets going

any ideas on what to do

make sure you use a cap for coolant recovery it has rubber on the outside ring also and make sure the sealing surfaces are clean

Man I love those TB SC's what a great color... Best they made IMO..Hey have you checked your Thermostat??

replaced thermostat about 2 weeks ago... i still think its air pockets, whats the best way i can get the most air out?

The best way to get the air out of these things is to keep trying. I have had to crack the bleeder valve 7 or 8 times in the past, and still did not get it all out. I would sometimes do it when it was cold, sometimes when it is hot and running.
Also did the new thermostat have a tiny bleeder hole in it? Some do not. The original one that came with my SC had this hole in it. (There is also a tiny ball bearing mounted to the hole which acts like a one way valve.) This hole is important for allowing any trapped air to get by the thermostat when it is closed, and helps to let the trapped air out. If it didn't have one you could just drill a small 1/16" dia. hole in it yourself, and when you re-install it orient the hole upwards.
Something else I just thought of. Is the hose from the rad to the reservoir in good shape? (IE. No holes, cracks, loose connections at the rad or reservoir etc.) The rad could be sucking air in through the hose instead of drawing fluid out of the reservoir like it should.

Are you taking out the vent cap before you put coolant in then putting the vent cap back on before you start it up? I always had cooling problems until I figured out that this vent cap existed. If you don't know what I'm talking about, find out.

seems as if radiator cap quality these days went straight into the gutter. i ended up bringing it to my mechanic cause i couldnt figure it out, he said he tried about 5 differant radiator caps after flushing the system until one finnaly held the pressure. companys need to step up on radiator cap quality :mad:

Back