'94 SC Proposed Hood Design... Suggestions?

discipled1

I originally posted a message asking if the '93 SC hood could be mod'd to fit a '94-'95 SC, and from the replies, yes the hood can be mod'd, but it requires a significant amount of work to do so. My last post on that thread featured a picture of a '94 SC hood that was stock, and I added my own idea of what a custom hood should look like. I've attached that picture to this post. I would like to get members comments or suggestions regarding the style of the hood and if they like it or not, and if they would change it, in what way? Furthermore, if anyone out there has a drawing of a hood style they would like to see made available for the SC, then please post it. I'll post more pictures of Draft Hoods as the inspiration arises. I think the SC is a great car and should have more then 2 hood styles available, so please give some feedback and post your own drafts... no matter if you think they are good or not. At least someone else may get an idea from your draft and inspire them to create their own variation. Eventually, the idea is to come up with a group designed hood and make it available to club members.

Thanks,

discipled1

1994 SC No Mods Yet, and crunched front end--looking for parts. I do my own body work and paint and I'm thinking of designing and making my own hood.

Attachments

• Draft Hood '94 T-Bird SC Large.bmp
    172.2 KB · Views: 476
Descipled1, the centerline leading edge nose on that pic looks a little long to be for a 94-95.. Also my suggestion would be if your going to make the hood make it considering the leading edge designed to work with the 96-97 headlight swap, most everyone likes the look of the non-fluted lenses on their car.. Personally I'd like to see another source to make the modified Cobra R hood with the Mach 1 scoops in it like Dale's car... It is just an awsome look..

http://members.tccoa.com/dalepuumala/images/sc/2nose.jpg

Thanks Dale for the pic... :D

RJ

Kamakazie_1, I agree, the nose or "beak" is a little long. The modified Cobra-R hood and the March I scoops look good together, the car looks great! However, for my taste and IMHO it makes the front end look out of balance with the rest of the car when viewed from the side (hoods too tall). I would like to see the first rise minimized to just contour lines. Then it would be a buy for me. My idea is to use a stock hood and put a scoop on it. There are all kinds of scoops out there, but none specifically designed utilizing the SC overall balance. To give you an idea of what the Cobra-R hood would look like with a lower scoop, I've edited a picture and attached it. What do ya think, good or bad idea?

discipled1
1994 SC Not modified yet.

Attachments

• 2nose with lower scoop small pic.jpg
    2nose with lower scoop small pic.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 400
Here's a 'V' hood style with cowl induction. The vee part of the hood is raised and air can be drawn in from the cowl. It's simple and clean. Keep in mind that these are just suggestions for hood designs. The attached picture has been edited from the original. A link to the original is at: http://members.tccoa.com/dalepuumala/images/sc/2nose.jpg

Attachments

• 2nose Raised  V Cowl Induction Hood small pic.jpg
    2nose Raised V Cowl Induction Hood small pic.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 386
I'd like to see a fiberglass near stock size hood for the '94 (scoops might be cool) I'm not too keen on the 3" and 4" rises...

I don't know, I think I like the double step, and the Mach 1 scoops in there what if it was just lower, but the width at the back edge of the hood near the windshield was wide like the v-shaped one you posted.

RJ

Glad to see some interest on this topic. That's the unfortunate part of owning a car with fewer numbers made (94-95 SC's).

What I'd really like to see become available for the SC is a hood just like the 1988 t-bird turbo coupe. I like the cervini's ok, but don't care for the raised portion where the scoops are.

On the links section on our web site check-out Ted Lyon's cobrasc.com. That's very similar to what I've discussed. His hood was a one-time custom made.

discipled1,
My vote would be for the one you have in post #3. I'd like that with about a 2" rise as opposed to the cervini 1.5". I do think that the 3"-4" is too high, unless you have the need for it. However, I'd like to see that hood available for the earlier years...'89-'93. I know you started it for the '94-'95, but there are a lot more '89-'93 SC's out there...possibly a larger market to draw from. I'd like to see hood designs available for all of the years, '89-'97. That way there's the availability of hood designs out there regardless of year. I know it's a lot to ask for, but if we're just talking...

kamakazie_1 said:
I don't know, I think I like the double step, and the Mach 1 scoops in there what if it was just lower, but the width at the back edge of the hood near the windshield was wide like the v-shaped one you posted.

RJ

Hi Kamakazie, I think that's a good idea. I put the scoop ontop of the wide V hood just as you suggested and I've attached a pic of it. What do ya think?

discipled1

Attachments

• 2nose Raised V Cowl Induction Hood with scoop small.jpg
    2nose Raised V Cowl Induction Hood with scoop small.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 227
Still Crusin said:
Glad to see some interest on this topic. That's the unfortunate part of owning a car with fewer numbers made (94-95 SC's).

What I'd really like to see become available for the SC is a hood just like the 1988 t-bird turbo coupe. I like the cervini's ok, but don't care for the raised portion where the scoops are.

On the links section on our web site check-out Ted Lyon's cobrasc.com. That's very similar to what I've discussed. His hood was a one-time custom made.

Hi Still Crusin, I've posted a pic of the 1988 Turbo Coupe's hood and Ted Lyon's hood so everbody can see what you are saying. I think it's a good looking hood on Ted's car. The stock one is a bit plain, or should I say flat. I like the drop set vents, though. I think you can see that the lines of the SC were in mind when they designed those. Perhaps the "Raised V" hood with the turbo coupe's vents would look good? I'll try and come up with a pic of what I'm saying.

discipled1

Attachments

• Ted Lyon's Cobra SC small.jpg
    Ted Lyon's Cobra SC small.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 1988 Turbo Coupe Hood small.jpg
    1988 Turbo Coupe Hood small.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 184
plev72 said:
I'd like to see a fiberglass near stock size hood for the '94 (scoops might be cool) I'm not too keen on the 3" and 4" rises...

Hi Plev 72, I think you're right, a 3 to 4" rise is too much for my taste as well. I think the trick is to make a design that fits the design of the car without calling too much attention to it's self, as if to say... Hey that's cool, and it looks like it belongs there, and it makes the car look good. What a deal.

discipled1

You know, I've been looking at this pic of the draft hood and I just realized that it is not complete. In fact, I didn't know it at the time of making it, but the open area on top is really what one would see after the scoop had been lifed off, a "cut out" if you will, showing how the air would flow under the cut out portion. Hummmmm, perhaps the piece that belongs there should have some kind of scoop? I wonder what they should look like? Perhaps as another suggested, they should look like the 1988 Turbo Coupe? Ted Lyon's hood on his car would then be the inspiration for such a design. The height of the raised portion should only be 1 to 2 inches though, IMHO.

discipled1

Back