Another exhaust post...sorry.

needsabird

Can someone give me some exhuast advice?

Alright, I need to know what to do with my exhaust. Here's what I'm thinking. I'll eliminate the cats and the resonator and run a flowmaster muffler. Now, if I run 3 inch pipe all the way, is that over kill? Should I run 2.5? Or should I keep the cats and then run the 3 inch.

I know, people don't usually like the sound of a bird without the res, but truth be told, a buddy of mine has dual 40 series flowmasters and 2.5 inch pipe back to the cats and I don't mind how it sounds. In other words, just assume that sound isn't that much of an issue to me.

Thanks thunderbirders.

Last edited:
You will be able to rev much higher way past the red line...

You will loose low end tork ... You will gain mid range quicker from 50 mph to 100 mph because you can rev higher... 3" would be overkill 2.5 is already to big for a stock SC motor.. GOOD LUCK!

thanks...

So, what you're saying is if I go with the 3" from the manifold back to flowmaster 40 series mufflers, that would be overkill, and if I go with 2.5 that would be too much as well? So what should I do?

What kind of exhaust are you talking about?

Dual 2.5" to single 3" to dual 2.5"?
True dual 2.5"?
True dual 3"?
Dual 2.5" to single 3" all the way?
Dual 2.5" to single 2.5" all the way?

Give us some more information on how you're going to run your exhaust.

I have dual 2.25" to 3" to dual 2.25" and it's working great on my mostly stock SC.

clarifying

Ok, I'm not talking about true duals at all, because to me that would mean running two pieces of pipe back to two outlets. I'm just wondering if it's too much to run 3" all the way without the resonator or cats.

You know what? Just let me know the best set up without having to buy expensive high flow cats, or a high flow resonator.

BlckonBlckBrds

Set up is the way to go for you ... 2.25 to 3" to 2.25 is the way to go for you to keep quality vacume ... What you should do is run highflow cats behind the manifolds down to the Y just like the stock set up then delete the resonator put a 3" pipe in its place then 2.25 to mufflers... Without mufflers it will be extremely loud and drone and without cats you will see raw gas fumes coming out your exhaust and it will stink... This is just my opinion you can do whatever you want to if it is a street car you really should run at least cats and mufflers if it is going to be just a strip car no need for cats and mufflers...

I don't know what kind of cats you will be using if any at all but in the stock cats there are three pieces the first piece is for backpressure then there are two ceramic honeycomb pieces behind the first piece these pieces are to burn away raw fumes before they escape... With high flow cats there is no first piece hence no back pressure only two ceramic honeycomb pieces...So you will be able to rev higher with no backpressure high flow cats flow just as much as a 3' pipe....Hope this helps..

Back