Gtp

SC UL8R1990

Won. I was minding my own business when i notice in my rear view a red gtp that seemed to be in a hurry. Maybe a mile or so down the road caught a light before a light that goes from 1 to 2 lanes. I was the front car and he was behind me, i took off slow and kept the rpms low and heard him behind me(exhaust of some sort). I knew he was gunna want to play. We caught the next light right before the 2 lane ahead and he pulled up next to me. Looked like some type of stainless steel exhaust, 2 tips on each side(looked purty). I gave the SC a little lurch during the red light and he smirked. Light turns green and i had about as perfect of a launch as you can get a 5spd SC His front tire was at my rear tire and he burned quite a bit of rubber. I could hear his blower whining (must have had a k&n or intake) I hit second and pulled another half a car on him. By the middle of third gear he was pacing about 1.5 to 2 car lengths back. We hit another light together and he rolled down his window to say good race. i told him he had a nice car and we were on our seprate ways. Overall, it was a fun little race and the guy had a good attitude. It was the first time i had ever ran a gtp in my SC. and the first time i really got on it with my new intake set-up, hehe.

btw- it was cool to hear 2 eaton chargers sorta at the same time

I ran a GTP also and easily burned him. By atleast 3 cars, how do u ask? you gotta beat them off the line, thats it man, just off the line.

My mods are a fake real cold air intake made from exhaust pipe and pcv pipe and a cheap cone air filter. Exhaust is a budget exhaust, more flow than stock but not high performance stuff.

i beat one the other day too. it had a guage in the middle of the dash though probably a boost guage. i easily walked away from him as soon as i stoped spinning.

I very much like thunderbird supercoupes, but from what some of your signatures say for 1/4 mile times you don't seem to be too fast. Those GTP's you were racing must have been stock or very close to it. Some stock GTP's have been known to run mid 14s stock! :eek: I have a 99 GTP with some mods and ran a 13.6 @ 101 with bad traction. :mad: My 60' was 2.01 Anyways I'm looking into getting a SC for a second car. Kinda off topic but what are some mods you recommend for a noob SC owner? Intake, catback, s/c pulley drop? Thanks

Hey,
I would recommend new custom exhaust, 5% pulley, gears, then intake items.

I haven't had mine to the 1/4 yet, but it should be mid-high 13's from my 1/8th mile times.
Cheers

I have basic bolt-ons:
cai, pulley, top, downtubes and some other misc stuff and ran the 14.7. Personally, I'd do the basic engine bolt-ons before working on the drivetrain...

I'm clearly no noob when it comes to modding a s/c V6. If anyone is curious on what I've done so far heres this list. SLP Loudmouth catback, random technology cat and downpipe, SLP cai, reprogrammed PCM, 3.4" sc pulley, 1.9 rockers, 180* tstat, and ZZP high velocity TB. Those are all I can remember off the top of my head. Is there any websites that someone can recommend me looking at for some performance parts? Thanks :)

-Brian

if u mean perf. parts for the l67, try www.zzperformance.com, www.intense-racing.com, and www.pfyc.com to name a few.

Good kill on the GTP. What mods do you have? Most l67 cars are high 14s stock, and can be in the 13s with a few hundred $ in boltons. And you're right about just having to beat them off the line: They're top end is pretty weak stock. Cam and rockers take care of that though, heh heh. I really wish GM gave us intercoolers: Thats one thing i really like about the SC better than the supercharged w-bodies. In fact, i'm planning on mounting a supercharger similarly to how u guys' are so i can use a FMIC. I'm probably going with the M-112 though.

In my opinion a GTP is a little faster than an SC. I've owned both. My most recent SC was an 89 XR7 5spd with overdrive pulley, no resonator, and CAI. It went 14.35 @ 94-95. My GTP which I just sold with CAI, ECM, 3.4" pulley, and ubend delete went 14.25 @ 99, and it was a sedan. However I liked barking 3rd in a Cougar, people were like WTF?

black99lightnin said:
In my opinion a GTP is a little faster than an SC. I've owned both. My most recent SC was an 89 XR7 5spd with overdrive pulley, no resonator, and CAI. It went 14.35 @ 94-95. My GTP which I just sold with CAI, ECM, 3.4" pulley, and ubend delete went 14.25 @ 99, and it was a sedan. However I liked barking 3rd in a Cougar, people were like WTF?
PS> why did you sell your XR7 :(

Someone offered me $2000 for it with 192,000 miles on it. Plus in the previous two years I had put two trannies in it, hg's, clutch/slavecylinder, and just got done rebuilding the motor after a rod broke. No idea why the rod broke, I guess it was just time. Plus the front end needed a rebuild and the stupid ABS light was coming on everytime I hit the brakes. Still a very cool car, and I'll probably buy another in a few years.

Back