Replaced accumulator...still having brake issues

Jeremy81

I just replaced the brake accumulator on my 90 with one from Prior Reman. I put it in yesterday and drove it around awhile, everything was fine (pedal was firm but good). Then today I was driving it and the ABS/Brake warning lights came on. I was close to home so I got home as quick as I could but before I did I lost my power assist (I'm assuming the motor got too hot and turned off, hopefully it's not dead. I'm going to check in a couple of hours). I checked for leaks after it first charged yesterday and everything seemed fine. The only thing that I coulds see being a problem is that yesterday I put a little too much brake fluid in (it was past the MAX mark). I was going to remove some today but this happened. When I popped the hood brake fluid had come out the cap and was all over the top of the reservoir. I took the cap off and and it was almost up to the top. Is it possible there is too much pressure or something? I couldn't tell if it was leaking around the base of the accumulator but if it was I don't think I'd have brake fluid overflowing.

I'm going to wait a couple hours then go and remove some of the brake fluid and see if the pump motor will work.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Jeremy

overfilling should not hurt sounds like bad pump or relay on mine i would bump the pump with a long screw driver and it would kick on the brushes went bad in the pump after 215 k miles i put brushes in for about 3 bucks

That actually sounds like it could be the problem. Originally I went to a brake shop and they told me that I needed a new pump but were able to get the old one started by tapping it with a screwdriver. The pump continued to work and the accumulator was definitely bad so I replaced it.

How hard is it to replace the brushes? I'm assuming that the entire master cylinder has to come out so it's probably relatively extensive.

Thanks, Jeremy

no it looked hard to get master cylinder off so i just took the pump and motor off it was very tough but easier than removing everything . i took the accumulator off and reached in i think there was only about 2 bolts and one brake line and hose to master cylinder

You should still suck out the excess brake fluid. Mine was leaking once because I over filled it and it leaked on to the exhaust, which started a fire. Good luck

Back