Air In Power Steering Line?

91CaliTBIRD

I was drag racing around town and all of a sudden my power steering felt like no power steering. When i got home i noticed the power steering reservoir had popped off and i had lost alot of fluid. I fixed the reservoir and added atf to top it off. Now i am having problems with my power steering at idle. If i rev it a bit or if im driving its fine, but if im at idle especially in gear (lower rpm) it is very stiff. Can i have gotten air in the system and how do i fix it??? Please help!

Did you bleed the ps system? Easy to do- get four pieces of flat cardboard and put two pieces under each front wheel. Start car and turn steering wheel back and forth all the way a few times. The cardboard lets the front wheels turn easily with the car parked. This will work the fluid all the way through the rack and get the air out. Flushing the old fluid is a good idea too, easiest way is to unhook the ps line that runs under the oil filter (where the rubber hose mates to the metal tube), then add fluid as you turn the steering wheel. Do this until the fluid draining out is the same color as the new fluid going in. This is easier to do with car on jackstands.

But the fact that the cap popped off may indicate another problem- blockage somewhere?- unless it just worked itself loose...

Back