5-speed swap now no cruise control

Tony8470

I went from and automatic to a 5-speed and everything works but the cruise control. I don't have a clutch interlock switch installed (I can start the car with clutch not pushed in). I still have the automatic computer. Then on my transmission wiring harness there is a grey connector that doesnt have a connection to go to. I dont think this is the reason but I thought it would help. Is there a connection I could wire a circuit into to get it going again? Like in the steering wheel column wiring?

Ok, I'm reading this shop manual, and it says, correct me if I'm wrong, that the switch will be open (no active circuit) in order to use cruise control. Therefore it should still work. Because with the switch not connected its as if the circuit is in fact open. And the only ways to turn it off is by pressing the brake or pressing the off button? So what could the problem be?

Last edited:
There could be any number of problems, but there is a circuit that passes through the clutch switch and the neutral switch on the transmission. If either of those are not working properly then the cruise won't work (you may have stalling issues as well).

and it just came to me...

A `open' type circuit kills the Cruise control on the later '91+ 5spd cars.. and when the brake pedal is pressed on all cars (auto and 5spd)

Surposely at terminal #5 (lt green) on the '89/90s if you have 12volts at that lead when the brake pedal is pressed/clutch is pressed and less then .5Volts when nothing is pressed then it's all good..

also did you swap out the tranny harnesses or no??

click here

Also not letting the EEC know if your in or not in gear isn't the best thing either :) there is different `programing' for both, and `idle' speeds

Last edited:
another option.. depnding on if there's extra `wires' at the C210? connector (the one under the dash (tranny harness) ) you could always find the starter lead that goes to the Start relay (on the fender?) then wire it so it goes to the NEutral switch of the TRanny, then the other end of the switch to the one Grey w/Yellow lead (or Green??) at the C210 connector (dash side) ??? Ahh whatever :S

I still say it has somethign to do with the tranny harness :)

Im sure it runs though the clutch as well. what if you had the cruse set and pressed in on the clutch. You would want it to deactivate the cruse or your motor would rev to limit. Correct me if im wrong here.

Well I have a connection on the tranny harness that has no mate on the transmission. Its just dangling there, its a grey one. I all the other ones are connected, now what each of them does, I have no idea but they are in the proper places. I remember someone posted a diagram of the tranny harness but I can't remember where it was.

Tony8470 said:
Well I have a connection on the tranny harness that has no mate on the transmission. Its just dangling there, its a grey one. I all the other ones are connected, now what each of them does, I have no idea but they are in the proper places. I remember someone posted a diagram of the tranny harness but I can't remember where it was.

Wel once agian going by a '91-93? 5spd harness..

All the plugs will only plug into the correct corisponding switches/sensor on the tranny... There is one Grey plug, like you mentioned, that has two Red w/light blue wires, and lshoudl be a Shortning plug in it, it's a starter loop.. but since your car surposely starts.. I think it'll have the plug in it :)

Also have you checked for codes?? it'll least tell you if hte EEC is getting the Park/Neutral signal it needs or not.. else you'll have to figure out something to get it working??

PLugs on 5spd harness
Back up
Speed sender
Neutral switch
then the starter loop??

also on the auto cars.. the EEC learns if the Car is in Park/neutral Via a branch AFTER the Neutral/park switch just before it goes into the PLug under the dash.. so it may be that, that is the problem...

i would check the vacuum switch at the brake pedal or the speed sensor i dont think the clutch affects the cruise

Back