The price of gas is getting rediculous. . .

vivisex666

i know when you start making serious HP you need to use higher octane.
But is anyone out there with a basicly stock sc using 91 or even 89 w/o any noticeable effects?

[clatter.. clatter.. clatter.. ping.. ping.. knock.. knock] Yeah.. its great.. no problem :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Actually, many many years ago, I tried running mid-grade (91 I think it was) for a while. The prior statement indicates the result. Actually, as long as I stayed off the throttle going up hills, it wasn't too bad, but 1/4 throttle going up a modest hill was not a good sound. With 93, I've not ever heard it knock :cool:

I'd suggest you try 1/2 tank of 89 and see what you think. Your drives may be sedate enough that it won't knock. Having said all that, I pulled a KOER code that said my K-sensor didn't respond last weekend. :( I'm hoping thats the reason for my high Nox levels, but also if it were fixed, I might see what mid-grade gas does.

Last edited:
TbirdSCFan said:
[clatter.. clatter.. clatter.. ping.. ping.. knock.. knock] Yeah.. its great.. no problem :rolleyes: :rolleyes:QUOTE]

LOL ok, ok i get your drift. I'm a little heavy on the throttle, so i guess i'll just have to keep bending over when i go to get gas. And then pay them $40 for the service.

mines mainly stock right now as im waitin to put on my extra boltons and im running 91. Actually 91 is pretty much all we got here in california and i havnt had the knockin issues but then again i havnt put my performance mods on yet. Theres someone esle in Cali thats having this knockin problem with our 91 and is posting in the tec fourm. i dont know what im going to do when i bolt my mods on other than drive 45 min to get 100 octain at $8 a gallon and mix my own. Zach

ive run 87 since i bought the car 3 yrs ago..occasionally i d put 93 or better in there...but with thse prices..the cheapest is all i can afford.....

never had a problem and im close to 100k......

Last edited:
Back