Brake Master Cilynder Replacement

wingrg

HI! MY 89SC APPEARS THAT THE OLD OWNER CHANGE THE MASTER CILYNDER TO A CONVENTIONAL THUNDERBIRD MASTER CILYNDER :mad: NO PLUGS ATTACH AND MISSING LINES. OH MY GOD WHAT A MESS!!!!! :eek: WELL CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHAT PART NUMBER ITS FOR A BRAKE MASTER CILYNDER OR A REPLACEMENT PART THAT NOT BE TOO EXPENSIVE, BECAUSE I CALL FOR PRICE ON THAT PART AND I SUFFER A HEART ATTACK WHEN I HEAR ASK $3000.00 FOR THE PART :eek: , MAYBE SOMEONE KNOW A COMPATIBLE PART :rolleyes: FOR OTHER CAR THAT IS CHEAP THAN OEM :eek: . WELL ANY ADVICE OR CHEAP PART INFO GOING TO TAKE ME OUT OF THE HOSPITAL. THANKS!

If you are looking to return the SC to it's original ABS configuration, you will need to get a Teves Mark II ABS. The best place is Prior Remanufacturing. www.priorreman.com You will have to pay a "core charge" if you don't have an old unit to send back, but if you can find one at a salvage yard, that will save you a few bucks... You should be able to get a rebuilt "Mark II" for less than $600.00 from Prior (with no refund for the old core). They even provide a 36-month warranty on their rebuilt units... You may be able to get a "workable" unit at the salvage yard, but if you find one, it will most likely need a new accumulator (about $100.00 from Prior). Either way, replacing the brake lines, sensors, ABS Control unit, etc. will be the biggest part of the job. (maybe someone parting out a wrecked SC can help you out with the plumbing)

hey dude... i have 2... both of them need new accumulators... my damn dad yanked them off after he thought they were dead,... but i told him all he needed was the accumulator and he was like oh well.. both of them work but i guarantee its just the accumulator that needs replacing. willing to work out a lil thing here. not asking for too much because u still need to get the accumulator. so let me know man. seriously im guaranteeing its just the accumulator that needs replacing... the accumulator is the black ball on it. you unscrew it and screw the new one back up and bam. ABS again. latezz

If you just want the master cylinder....

Call up an automotive supplier and ask for a master cylinder for a 1989-1993 Ford Thunderbird without ABS. If the original owner put on a booster and master, then just stick with that. Unless the wiring is there, there is almost no way to get it to operate properly. (the TEVES IV unit, that is.)

Good luck,

Don

Thanks! for the advice guys! The old owner let the wiring hardness and the ABS controller in the trunk everything is in place, all i need is the master cylinder.

Thanks! :eek:

wingrg said:
Thanks! for the advice guys! The old owner let the wiring hardness and the ABS controller in the trunk everything is in place, all i need is the master cylinder.

Thanks! :eek:
mine is in the same condition i still have all the sensors wiring etc , update me later on how it goes.

You said lines and wires were gone. As such you are looking at major work. You'd do better to find a wrecked 93+ tbird with the newer teves ABS system and retrofit that.

Otherwise is not that difficult of a job to replace the brake lines and fit a non-ABS master cylinder to the car.

Back