Gas tank question.

eyefly

I would like to install a performance exhaust on my 91 auto SC. I realize I need to replace the fuel tank w/ a 93 or new T bird tank. Can this come out of a standard Tbird, other Fords..or does it have to be a Super Coupe? I live in NE Ohio & can drive up to 100 miles to pick one up if anyone has one at a reasonable price. Thanks!

Rich

You don't "have" to replace your fuel tank. It just makes it easier for routing bigger pipes.

How much horsepower are you expecting to build your exhaust system for?

Regarding Exhaust

The only mod's I am planning on making are the 2 1/2" exhaust (down tubes, to high flow cats 2 into resonator 1 out & Y into dual. Was considering the Hooker Aero Chamber 2 1/2" offset mufflers & Magnaflow resonator. Can this be done using the stock tank?

I will also be adding a 10% supercharger pulley.

These are the only mods I intend to make aside from the existing K & N cold air intake.

Rich

Its just a lot easier routing with the newer tank than going around the side and I think the newer tanks give you more room after the resonator. Good luck

If you use a non SC fuel tank make sure you swap out your fuel pump. Actually while you have the tank out go ahead and install a new higher lph fuel pump so you don't have to do it at a later date if you decide to do more mods.

is 92 & up gas tanks have less gallons?i think my 91 sc has 19 gallon.what is 92 & up?just wondering...

2.5" true duals are much easier with the later model tank.

But if you are going from 2.5 into a 3", there is no real issue with getting that around the corner for the tank. You might want to check out the article from the home page on the stock exhaust system and what one member did to measure it's issues and fix them:

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/cwexhaust.php

By doing the down tubes, cats, resonators you are removing the largest bottle necks in the exhaust system. That turn under the tank is a minimal issue for someone just routing a single pipe through it. And if you are not planning on using mandrel bent exhaust throughout, it would be overkill to worry about the routing around the tank at this point in your build-up.

If you are going all out with stainless and mandrel bent pipe, then you might as well go all out with a new tank and fuel pump. Otherwise it's just extra work with limited benefit.

92 & up tanks have reduced capacity due to the change. Not much. They are listed at 18 U.S. gallons. Down a gallon from the 89-91 tanks.

Found Here: http://www.sccoa.com/articles/scspecs.php

Back