PDA

View Full Version : Car starts, then dies.. then starts (more)

11psi5.0
05-20-2004, 03:01 PM
For the past three weeks or so, my '89 SC 5-speed has been having a problem starting. Basically, when I start the car when it's cold (in the morning, or after a long day at work), the car will start and run for a split second, then the RPMs drop so low the car dies. If I crank it over again, it starts RIGHT up and runs fine.

Also, about 50% of the time, the car will run OK for about the first 3 or 4 minutes after starting, then there is a hesitation in the throttle. If I push the clutch in, and rev it, the car goes "Vroom.. Vroom" instead of one smooth rev. This makes it difficult to take off from a stop - I have to keep the revs around 2500 to keep it from stalling. This goes away completely though in about 5 or 6 more minutes of driving.

Anyone have any ideas? The car pulls plenty of vaccuum, boosts to 12psi, and runs OK otherwise (it's also bone stock).

rlong
05-20-2004, 10:51 PM
sounds like fuel pressure regulator try some stp in the gas helped mine my regulator would stick sometimes and now and then it would hesitate when it was cold . eventually it went away i think the stp fixed it