MY first SC, some horepower help needed

megahyperion

OK let me start with the car

I just picked up a 1989 , Super Coupe, miles are 135k

The car is currently not running, I guess the guy I got it from said it needs a starter and a fuel pump, so I replaced the start but its pouring rain here to the fuel pump will have to wait (if thats even the problem).

Also if anyone here knows if the fuel pumps do usally go bad or if it could be something else please let me know.

I am mechanically inclined and do all my own work, including rebuilding motors etc...
So no need to dumb down any explainations.

Now my question is what type of a pulley can I get to add some power before I have to get into the fuel system ?

Also what type of a pulley can I use if I did decide to add something like an Apexi AFC ?

Thanks in advance

The number one thing to do on these cars is the exhaust. After I did that I went with an ASP 10% blower pulley and then I did the rest of my mods as you can see below. You can get to about 300HP at the motor with stock injectors.

Get a 190-255 lph fuel pump for a stang//Easy retrofit.

Then do exhaust. Late model tbird tank will allow a better exhaust to be fitted...Even duals if you like.

Then get a 5% or 10% pulley..

Then Larger mass air (You can also get a K&N Filter)

Loved my Under drive pulleys.

Raised SC top

Lager TB and perhaps a port job...At this point ay may want to consider injecter upgrade (which means a recalibrated mass air)

Oh yeah..Before all this..DO good tuneup:O)

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Get a 190-255 lph fuel pump for a stang//Easy retrofit.

Then do exhaust. Late model tbird tank will allow a better exhaust to be fitted...Even duals if you like.

Then get a 5% or 10% pulley..

Then Larger mass air (You can also get a K&N Filter)

Loved my Under drive pulleys.

Raised SC top

Lager TB and perhaps a port job...At this point ay may want to consider injecter upgrade (which means a recalibrated mass air)

Oh yeah..Before all this..DO good tuneup:O)

Just grabbed a 190lb off ebay (thought mine was bad :rolleyes: ) so got that taken care of.

It seems that from what you posted I can do alot before modifying the fuel system (less the pump which is a given) .
This is good, my apexi AFC may not have to go in the SC after all (I have previous plans I would rather use it for)

Besides that I think I will pass on the gas tank but still upgrade the exhaust, I am trying to do this hop-up on a budget so I think I will salvage a camaro 3" exhaust setup and put some new bends in it to fit the SC.
Ditch the 3 cats/presilencers and just runt straight to the mufflers, new muffler of course.
Something straight through should work, like a couple $45 ebay specials
I dont even wanna think about headers because I got some for my 4.0 ranger and for $400 and for the price per performance it was a total waste of money, but they did sound great, prob. never heard a 4.0 rumble that one :D

thinks for the tips, when I get the HB problem solved the car will be on its way. ;)

first thing is 3.73 gear,then do away with the cats,then 10% pulley then your drowning in a money pit...have fun

If you do the exhaust some advice.

You can port the collector of the manifolds a bit. DO a search on here and some picturea of that may pop up.

The factory system is on the junk side. Many bends and kinks.

If you go dual 2 1/4 inch into a magnaflow resonator then 3 inch out back splitting into two 2.5 inch and summit special mufflers that will sound fine.

If you dont use a resonator you will most likely not like the sound. We are warning you!!!!!

Some have gone 2.5 into resonator but I see no sence in it. It would also seem that 2.5 inch would be hard to mate to collector..Unless you reduce it a bit at that point/

Anyway good luck

If you going for pulley first go to the exhaust system, because if you dont work with the exhaust system first, ohh! boy you going to expend much money changing your head gaskets. ;)

Back