PDA

View Full Version : EEC Tuning

fastsc92
05-22-2004, 05:50 PM
Ok, I jsut got my EEC tuner and i really have no clue where to start. I read the owners manual, and i understand it a lot more, but not 100% sure what to change. Is there anyone out there willing to give me a hand with this?

rlong
05-23-2004, 01:24 AM
i have files from my 89 5 speed maybe i could help first of all i got a cheap voltmeter and hooked to my 02 sensor so i kew how rich or lean i was they say the driver side runs leaner so hook to it if you can . then i added about 2 degrees of spark and leaned out my air fuel ratio you could really tell the diference i think i had to run 92 octane also with the spark advanced my tuner quit about a year ago so im out of practice now till i get one

lube70
05-23-2004, 11:53 AM
I would suggest talking to Rich Thompson from MN12 performance. He sells the tuners and he would be best in helping you to tune it.

You can do a lot of good with the car and A LOT OF BAD!!!!!

Too mcuh timing and BOOM!!!!

Not enough fuel.........BOOM!!!!!!

My suggestion is talk to more people and get info....

Don

Jason Wild
05-23-2004, 12:02 PM
I'm in the boat I have a tuner but I real do not have any idea where to start all I have changed is my rad fans.
I think it's time we get a tuning forum going on the sccoa.

fastsc92
05-23-2004, 01:45 PM
I agree, there are many variables in the tuner for fuel, and they all work together, same goes for spark. I know there are things that dont need touching, but i need to help my car out. Its struggling on the stock program, it runs great, but the wideband shows too lean. I'd like to get my ratio's around 11.5:1, rather than 14.5:1!!!. So far i;ve been playing around with the idle, and fan controls, and i think i need to change some settings for the IAC, cause the cam is giving it funny idle. If i set the tuner to 700rpm's it looks like 850 on the tach (granted that tach is not accurate at all) I'd just like to know how to get the ball rolling. I'm pretty smart when it comes to this stuff, i just need a palce to start, in determining fuel ratios and sparks curves.

BT Motorsports
05-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Give me a call, I have some info that can help you.

Paul
562-307-5959

darkstar_one
05-23-2004, 06:54 PM
hey paul, your in the LONG BEACH/NORWALK/LAKEWOOD area?

seawalkersee
05-23-2004, 07:19 PM
I was kicking around the idea of getting one. Rlong, what do you mean it quit? I know that means it doesnt work anymore but is the car back to FMEM now or is it still running on the last files you made? I think The sofa king had one and then switched to a chip from Apten. Im not sure why but the guy spends money for custom intake gaskets cause the factories dont fit anymore so Im pretty sure he knows what he is doing...

I think Im gonna get a bigger rad first then MAYBE a tuner...

Chris

BT Motorsports
05-23-2004, 07:32 PM
hey paul, your in the LONG BEACH/NORWALK/LAKEWOOD area?
No, right now I am in the St Louis Mo. area.

Paul

fastsc92
05-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Paul, I'll give you a call on Tuesday if thats ok with you, maybe you could give me some pointers in the meantime so i can get the ball rolling.

BT Motorsports
05-23-2004, 07:58 PM
I will drop you a PM later this evening.

Paul

92strokedbird
05-23-2004, 08:05 PM
It would be a good idea to have a forum on eec tuning,it would help those who have boards.It would also help those who are thinking about buying boards and would like to see how easy or difficult it is to change parameters and to understand what effect they have on the engine.On the tccoa board they have a forum for tuning.What does everybody think about this!

XR7 Dave
05-23-2004, 08:10 PM
I'd like to get my ratio's around 11.5:1, rather than 14.5:1!! How have you determined this?

fastsc92
05-23-2004, 08:19 PM
How have you determined this?

This was via the wideband sniffer at the dyno. Did you get those dyno files i sent you a few weeks ago Dave?

FastSC
05-23-2004, 08:19 PM
I make tuner files, you can email me at bjherron@superchipscustom.com

BT Motorsports
05-23-2004, 08:20 PM
92strokedbird, this has been discussed many times before in the members only forum I believe. I have pushed for a forum for tuning and I believe George wants to wait till the club is more established before making such a move, perhaps he will chime in on this again. I know I will be discussing it in further depth with him and Duffy in Carlisle as well as other club business.

Paul

fastsc92
05-23-2004, 08:28 PM
FastSC, I know i could have someone just make me a few files, but i rather learn to make my own with the help of someone else, then i can help others in the future and not have to bother anyone else. I'm willing to get help from as many people as i can right now, so if you want to give me some pointers as well...thats would be great.

92strokedbird
05-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Paul,it just seems that it would be easier if the tuner board files could be adjusted by their owners rather than relying on others to program a tune for them.If each of the parameters that could be changed were explained then those who would like to could tune their own cars and learn about what works and what does not and share their experiences on the board with others.This would not only help all but also help to open doors about this whole tuning thing.It just seeems to me that if you buy a tuner why should you also have to buy tunes from people.Just my 2 cents!

FastSC
05-23-2004, 08:53 PM
the problem is that there's a lot of things you are going to want to change that aren't typically available in the strategy files that you have for your tuner. That's why a lot of people get starting files from me that already have that info changed :)

But as long as you aren't making over 300RWHP you should be okay.

Brian

fastsc92
05-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Brian, i plan to make about 320-350hp at the wheels within the next few months. What exactly are these strategy files? If you want to make a program that would be cool, but maybe a good explanation of what changed and why they changed so in the future i can write my own.

XR7 Dave
05-23-2004, 09:57 PM
I had to download the new viewer version to look at them. Now I see what you mean.

The curve doesn't look too bad, but either your FP is low or injector/MAF relationship is wrong. A tuner is not necessary to fix your problem. Your car should have a solid 11.9 A/F without any tuning.

fastsc92
05-23-2004, 10:24 PM
well you need to look at file #1, which was with stock fuel pressure. The other runs were with 55psi as a last resort to get things a little better. I think my MAF transfer functions need to change as well as crank pulse width, ect ect. I think a tuner is needed in order to change such things, as well as give me a little more performance.

XR7 Dave
05-23-2004, 10:46 PM
I forgot about the fuel pressure adjustments you had done. I guess that eliminates that problem.

While there are certainly a bunch of things that can be done in a tuner file, your MAF is way off for some reason. You can adjust the MAF curve to compensate, I was only saying that I know for a fact that with 42lb injectors and a proper sample tube, the AF will be on target. I have a car sitting here right now that is proof of that fact. It has the exact same injectors and MAF that you have and it pulls an 11.9 AF with no tuning whatsoever. Of course it is getting a tune because it will benefit from it, but a tune should not be necessary to get a decent AF.

fastsc92
05-24-2004, 12:26 AM
ya i dont know why it was so off. Every car is different i guess. I am using the red tube for 42lb injectors in a 73mm body and it seems all is well. I mean dont get my wrong, the car goes like a bat out of he!!, just got some scary readings on the dyno. This dyno used a sniffer wideband, which i think would read leaner than the actual condition, but they claimed the it was 100% accurate. Oh well...regardless i want to get started on a tuner file, and know what i'm doing so that when i go back to the dyno, i can make changes on the fly.