94 SC won't start..

DGernmann

Just got back from driving the car no problems at all. Pulled in the driveway and went to start it, and nothing..no starter click at all. Replaced the starter, thinking the starter shorted out, I tested it and it seemed to be locked up. Put new one in and samething. I did smell burnt something before, and and heard a buzzing noise like a wire shorting out.

All electrical stuff works like lights, radio etc.. Battery reads 11.72, ( I know it should read 12.50) but this isn't the problem. When I hook a charger up to it goes to the normal reading but the car still won't start. All fuses are good.

Can the starter relay be fried? Where is this located on my 94 so I can test it. Any help guys please thanks so much.

Drew

Can the starter relay be fried?
Yes.
Where is this located on my 94 so I can test it.
It's between the battery and windshield washer reservoir. The positive cable and the starter cable are both attached to it. To test it you can use two screwdrivers to jump across the relay from the positive cable to the starter cable.
I hope this is all your problem turns out to be.

Describe won't start a little further. What happens when you turn the key.

There are two solenoids. One on the fenderwell and one on the starter. Since you changed the starter you swapped that solenoid. The one on the fenderwell should click when you turn the key to start.

If it doesn't, you can try tapping on it to see if it will flip over and start. If it's clicking and it isn't turning the starter over, then start to check all the wiring leaving the starter. Some goes to the solenoid, and I think there is a wire that goes into the wiring harness.

If it doesn't click, you could have an issue with the ignition switch or other wiring type things.

Jimmy is right, the 94/95's don't have the starter relay. Go under the car and jump the small wire to the big pos. wire on the starter. If the starter doesn't engage, you got bigger problems.

Do you have battery voltage at the small wire at the starter with the key in the start position?
The other thing I will throw out there is..make sure the ground wire on the starter bolt is tight. I have found that once you remove the original nut holding it on it won't ever go back on right and you need to replace it otherwise you get an intermittant starter.

Last thing that I don't have an answer for is...Both my SC's have an issue with a seemingly dead starter every now and then. I have new starters and ignition switches in both and the problem continues although not nearly as frequently. I have yet to figure that one out.

That goes for me too. Only on the 94 though. One other thing you might check would be the small wire on the starter solinoid itself. If its not tight it will not start. Mine fell off while I was driving once and didn`t know it till I went to start it again. Make sure its tight

Back