Crank Pulley wabble HELP

91GreatWhiteSC

Im a New-B....i just got my 91 SC, i noticed the crankshaft pulley is wabbeling. Looks like an unbalenced tire. Its got 102k on the car. About 20k on the rebuild. Anyone got any ideas? Harmonic Balancer? Where is the cheapest place to get one, and is it hard to replace?

If the pulley itself is tight, then the only thing it could be is the balancer and bolt. These are known for failing. A new stock balancer I think runs about 350-400 from a dealer. The best route is to replace it with a BHJ solid balancer. You can find info about them here, just do a search. You can buy a used one if you need to, make sure that you get the pulley with it they are a matched balanced set. Also put in a new bolt, they are designed to break if the balancer fails. If it does you have to try and get the remaining bolt out of the crank. I would not drive it until you get it fixed. Not hard to do, an afternoon job.

I just put a BHJ on mine and have a used balancer and pulley if you decided to go that route.

Ok do i just tighten it, or do i have to have someone hold the pulley, or what? Just to check if its tight. Im pretty sure it is. But just to make sure u know. Just leave it in park? Thanks/ o and u have a PM flip. Thanks

91GreatWhiteSC said:
Ok do i just tighten it, or do i have to have someone hold the pulley, or what? Just to check if its tight. Im pretty sure it is. But just to make sure u know. Just leave it in park? Thanks/ o and u have a PM flip. Thanks
TTT?? anyone know

You have two pieces the balancer and the crankshaft pulley. The crankshaft pulley is held on the balancer with 4 bolts. Make sure that those are tight; if they are and you still have your wobble then the balancer is bad. You could release your belts if you wanted to see how bad it is, but if it wobbles it’s bad and need replacement. You can do this by yourself.

Flip said:
You have two pieces the balancer and the crankshaft pulley. The crankshaft pulley is held on the balancer with 4 bolts. Make sure that those are tight; if they are and you still have your wobble then the balancer is bad. You could release your belts if you wanted to see how bad it is, but if it wobbles it’s bad and need replacement. You can do this by yourself.
I got all the bolts off the pulley except one, wich REFUSES to come off, it just turns the crank over and over and over again, im about to pull my hair out, serously im about to freak....Can someone please respond ASAP and let me know if i can just pullt he balancer off with the Crankshaftpulley attached? Because that 4th bolt will not come off, i have a spare pulley with my used balancer that im going to put on.

If you can get the balancer off the crankshaft, just take it off. The pulley doesn't need to come off unless you need to use a puller to get the balancer off.

You don't want to use a puller to remove the balancer if you can't hook it on the balancer. The pulley will bend if you hook it on that.

Of course you need to remove the center Bal. Bolt. Make sure you use the pulley that came with the Bal. you bought, they are a matched balanced set.

Flip said:
Of course you need to remove the center Bal. Bolt. Make sure you use the pulley that came with the Bal. you bought, they are a matched balanced set.
Well wish me luck thanks so much guys for responding so quick i was about to put it back together and bring it somewheres....Wich i cant do because im broke as a joke.

91GreatWhiteSC said:
Well wish me luck thanks so much guys for responding so quick i was about to put it back together and bring it somewheres....Wich i cant do because im broke as a joke.

If you need to talk to someone give me a call 407-579-6984

I cant get the bolt in the middle off because it turns the crank pulley and everything, wich is what happends when u try and get that last bolt off.. Anyone have a AUTOMATIC....Anyone know how to make the motor not turn? Please help!!!... I dont get it......Please someone help me out.

Last edited:
91GreatWhiteSC said:
I cant get the bolt in the middle off because it turns the crank pulley and everything, wich is what happends when u try and get that last bolt off.. Anyone have a AUTOMATIC....Anyone know how to make the motor not turn? Please help!!!... I dont get it......Please someone help me out.
Ok im trying to get the center bolt out...Cant get it out...Is it threaded in reverse? IM trying to loosen and having no luck....

91GreatWhiteSC said:
Ok im trying to get the center bolt out...Cant get it out...Is it threaded in reverse? IM trying to loosen and having no luck....
Ok ive given up and puttin it back together....It wabbled b4 ill just drive it to a shop cause 1) i dont have the correct tools to do it here 2) i dont want to break anything...
So im puttin it back together....I was told the crankshaft pulley has to go on the harmonic balancer a certain way...is this correct????

I haven't messed with an SC balancer, yet... But on other cars to keep the engine from turning over I remember hole or slots, maybe through one of the pulley bolts that you could stick a screwdriver in the hole and if you're lucky it would catch against the block or something solid to keep it from turning.
Or maybe get some good leverage like a breaker bar and try giving sharp yanks instead of just pulling steady.

Have just a little more patience and you'll get more specific answers from someone here who knows exactly what to do. You'll end up a lot happier doing yourself. Everytime I take something to someone they screw it up or something else goes wrong. Even if you end up having to buy a tool or two to do this chances are you will still be way ahead of taking it to someone. Just my $.02

XR7Kurt said:
I haven't messed with an SC balancer, yet... But on other cars to keep the engine from turning over I remember hole or slots, maybe through one of the pulley bolts that you could stick a screwdriver in the hole and if you're lucky it would catch against the block or something solid to keep it from turning.
Or maybe get some good leverage like a breaker bar and try giving sharp yanks instead of just pulling steady.

Have just a little more patience and you'll get more specific answers from someone here who knows exactly what to do. You'll end up a lot happier doing yourself. Everytime I take something to someone they screw it up or something else goes wrong. Even if you end up having to buy a tool or two to do this chances are you will still be way ahead of taking it to someone. Just my $.02
Finally got everything done at 2am...No wobble, thanks to all those that helped

91GreatWhiteSC said:
Finally got everything done at 2am...No wobble, thanks to all those that helped

Eric, Very Cool.. Glad you got everything worked out.

Back