Help...can't friggin remove rear lower C arm bolt!!!

pipecraze

I'm installing lowering spring. I started on the rears first. This is supposed to be easy!!!! Well two days later still no progress on the rear!

The problem is the lower control arm to spindle botls are stuck in there. There are 2 on each side. Well on the passenger side I got the two nuts off and only one bolt out. I banged it with a hammer and got it out. This was the bolt toward the front of the car. The bolt to the rear of the car is stuck in there. I can turn it but I can't tap it out. I banged the hell out of it, sprayed it down, banged some more....nothing. The same is true for the driver side...that botl to the front came out but not the rear bolt! I've tried having the jack under the arm in all positions and still no luck.

Right now I'm trying to heat the bolts and push them out with a c clamp. I alreay broke one c clamp!!! If anyone has any ideas please help...this is really fustrating. And on top of that ford dosen't have the replacement bolts either!!!

I had to torch the bushings clear out of it in order to get the bolts to come out. One of the bolts had to be cut right off as well. I had extra bolts from a parts car and i was putting in polyurethane bushings anyway, so it wasnt a big deal. Good luck.

undo

top control arm ...I didn't have to undo rest ..it will fold down far enough to get spring out and in ..get the rest of the stuff out of your way ,shock sway bar brakes ..half shaft will put up a fight ..just make sure it's loose in the spindle and it will move round enough in the diff and spindle to lower the lower control arms
and if worse comes to worse for getting out ..cut the spring ...shorter one will go in easy..dave

I just did mine last week-end. Gave 'em a good soaking with a spray 'penetrating oil' not just WD-40. As a last resort (as long as the sway bar link is disconnected) you can stand on the lower control arm enough to pull the old spring out. Just be very carefull with the drive shaft CV boot though, as the shaft angle is rather extreme at this point.
Good luck,
Jim.

I wound up cutting off the driver side botl! I'll give the upper c arm method a try on the passenger side. I went to the junk yard yesterday to get some new bolts/nuts and I pulled them out of the bushings with my fingers!!!....it's it friggin' nice to know the birds in the junk yard are in better shape than my SC!

Back