Need new belt tensioners but no one can get them!!

rzimmerl

my SC tensioner is shot and so is the accesory tensioner, rockauto, advance auto, autozone cant get them or even order them. has anyone got new ones lately and from where? my sc belt is slipping horribly and has a brand new belt which is pretty much going to need replaced now.

Most places have pulleys that will fit, but do not list them for the SC.

This thread has some info:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43831

Ford only sells the pulley as a unit with the tensioner. If you need a new tensioner, you'll have to go to Ford or find a good used one. If you need just the pulley, then you should be able to find those at Napa or AutoZone.

You could do one of two things:

1. You could get some off of someone that is parting out a SC. Also SCP should have them, and they have bigger idler pulleys too.

2. You could go buy brand new one from Ford. They are a wopping $150 though.

Shane

tensioner

I feel your pain brother, searched hi and lo ended up going to ford dealer 70 miles away and $95.00 later!!!

Guys... Don't forget that the community has at least a couple Ford dealers that will give you a decent deal on Dealer OEM parts.

i have a NA engine with them on it from a LX, i think, i will check for u in the morning and if they are i will take a pic, cuz i kinda am confused,

darkstar_one said:
i have a NA engine with them on it from a LX, i think, i will check for u in the morning and if they are i will take a pic, cuz i kinda am confused,

The belt tensioners on NA 3.8s wont work on the SC.

Shane

i bought 3 dayco 89016 pulleys from advance auto parts 2 weeks ago for like 19.00 each.they work great.don't let advance lie to you they don't have them.just give them that part # 89016.and someone else in another post said if you run the 89016's you have to put a flat washer behind them if your gonna run your dust cover too because they are lil wider than stock size.but i found out you don't.i have my dust covers on and no washers.and they spin fine not rubbing at all.but just incase your car might fight you pick up some washers too.here is other post http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45081&highlight=belt+pulley remember the first guy talking was wrong about the part #'s.it is 89016 k

The bearing has a center bore and an outer bore. The flat of the dust cover is wide enough to make contact with both the center and outer bore. This will restrict the movement of the bearing without the washer.

Regardless, that's not the problem the poster is having here. The poster here is talking about the tensioner assembly.

Here is a picture of the assembly.

Attachments

• tensioner.jpg
    tensioner.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 176
i checked them out real good before i put the belts back on.they spun freely.i looked at dust cover to see if it rubbing on outer metal wheel in the center(if that makes any sense)but that didn't look like it was rubbing either.is that where you are talking about where i would get problems?the inside of the metal wheel where the outer part of the dust cover is?engine seems alot less noise now.only noise i have now is one of my heat shields on cat is rattling.2 spot welds on the shield are broken.so i took a screw driver and pry'd them away the best i could.to remove them all i would have to do is break the other 2 spot welds and it will come off right?they are on there just so you don't burn yourself right?no other function right?at first i thought something was wrong with my aod.it got louder and louder over past few weeks.and only did it when car was in gear.didn't rattle when car was in park.such a relief to find out it was just that.car is so quite now.but still get heat shield rattle once and a blue while.so that is why i just want to remove the whole shield.Mike8675309 let me know about pulley and heat shield.ty

Yep, that's what I ment. It's possible they clear. Ya just want to be careful.

And yes, the steel tensioners quiet things down quite a bit. The plastic flexing makes noise with the stock tensioners.

what about the heatshields on the cats?do i really need them for anything?they are just so you don't burn yourself on the cats right?and to remove them all the way i just take a chisel and a hammer and break the last 2 spot weld correct?

The heat sheilds on the bottom of the cats help to protect anything that might be under the car from the high heat of the cats.

Say going into a ditch, or even some of the hastily constructed parking lots in fields at county fairs.

The upper heat shields are there to keep the heat off the floor of the vehicle and possibly causing combustion of the glues and other stuff in the sound insulation and carpet.

I'd leave them on.

how can i stop them from rattling?i mean it's loud when you stop at a light.and it's only passenger side 1.bottom 2 spot welds are broke so it's just vibrating.i bent it back some away from the cat but every now and then you can hear it.is there some type of exhaust glue that can handle the heat?

sho taurus said:
how can i stop them from rattling?i mean it's loud when you stop at a light.and it's only passenger side 1.bottom 2 spot welds are broke so it's just vibrating.i bent it back some away from the cat but every now and then you can hear it.is there some type of exhaust glue that can handle the heat?

If you just want to stop the rattling, put a couple large hose clamps together (end to end) and clamp the sheild down. The loose one on my SC was facing the ground so I just removed it.

David

Back