No spark , Help....

Spike31460

The car has sat all winter . I knew that it needed a harmonic balancer , so I changed it before I charged the battery . The harmonic balancer went on slick as a whistle , charged the battery , cranks like crazy , but won't start . Checked , and I'm not getting any spark . It has a new distributor module as well . Thanks The fuel pump is engaging , so I don't think that is the problem .

you say u got a new DISTRIBUTOR thingy.. as in the DIS or the thing with were u hook up the spark plug wires...?

Maybe check your crankshaft sensor-you said you swapped the HB,maybe you bang the sensor which would cause no spark

It's your Crank sensor

These sound like the symptoms of a bad crank sensor. Here's a good way to check what's wrong, if your car is a five speed that is. When you turn your engine over, does the yellow shift light stay on? If it does, then you have a bad crank sensor. If you have a scantool, there is another way to tell. If the tool reads any rpm's when it's turning over, then it isn't your crank sensor.

I had the crank sensor go out in mine, and yours sounds like it has the same symptoms. Here's the bad news, to do the job yourself you need to set the gap between the crank and the sensor, and it's done easiest with a special factory tool from ford. So if you dont' want to deal with that, it's gonna cost in the neighborhood of 300 dollars to have ford fix it. But, now that mine is fixed, it runs better than ever.

I changed the DIS , not the "thingy" that the spark plugs are connected . If I have bumped the crankshaft sensor , how would I set the gap again ? Thanks

It's an automatic , not 5 speed . Though I wish it were .

did you put the crank sensor part on the back of the harmonic balancer its a big round thing that bolts to the back of the balancer

No I did not , that's the missing link . I knew that it had to be something simple . When I replaced the DIS , it started up and ran (poorly still) and that's when I noticed the balancer wobble . Thanks brother . Every good thing is from above , and sometimes prayers are answered quickly , like today . Thanks again rlong . Where are you from in PA? , I'm from Pittsburgh .

Back