Mechanical VS Electric aftermarket gauges

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Im looking into getting gauges for my 3 pod pillar. I was debating between autolite phantoms and ultra lites and decided to go with the autolites for the 89 (b/c of the silver trim of the gauges/ the silver-trimmed interior of the 89) and later on i'll get the phantoms for my 94. Anyways, i want to get A/F ratio, Trans temp and oil temp but im confused as to wether to get mechanical or electric trans temp/oil temp. I know electric gauges use sensors and senders but i also saw that the mechanical gauges usually have greater readings than the electric gauges (electric trans temp goes to 240*F i think, and mechanical goes to 280*F) Im under the impression that a gauge that has a greater range of readings is better. Was wondering if some one could explain to me which is better to use and why. Thanx

i think with electric ones ur gonna have to get this thing that converts the data. not sure thought if thats just for the fuel pressure one, i would go with electric, seeing as how the damn car is electric already up the wahoo, might *** well stay with the flow,

get mechanical boost guage for sure, but dont get the air fuel ratio meter, that one that goes from green to red, it doesnt do anything for you. it looks cool, but doesnt do anything for tuning.

Deffinitely Electric.

I chose electric because mechanical gauges have a tendency to spill oil all over the place inside the car if the tube/gauge start to leak.

I think im gonna go with electric then...as far as the a/f ratio...well, im doing a rebuild on the 89, soon after that the exhaust is goign to get done with the late model tank and fuel pump, and some sort of intake change...i want to monitor any rich/lean conditions so the gauge is going to be useful....yes, they are useless for TUNNING...but they work perfectly to monitor the above said condition...plus yeah, they look hella cool. Thanx for the inputs

Back