Engine Smoking??

baller1119

There is smoke that seems that it is coming from the exhaust manifolds. The smoke doesn't start until the engine gets pretty warm. There is a black build up(dirt and oil?) around the exhaust manifolds that i think is causing the smoke because it is burning after the engine heats up. Do i need to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets or could there be any other problems causing the smoke like a blown head gasket or something?

kind of smoke.. white smoke is ur head gaskets are blown... black smoke and there is oil burning up... if its white smoke dont start ur engine anymore
ur gonna contaminate the crankshaft and the whole OIL SYSTEM...

Sounds like you just either need to tighten your valve cover bolts or replace the gaskets. The oil could very well be leaking from where they meet the head and leaking onto the manifold(s) and after they heat up they will cause the oil to evaporate.

my valve covers used to work loose a lot i tightened them about every 6 months when i did the heads i just used rtv silicone and no valve cover gaskets and let it sit all nite to dry they have been good ever since almost 2 years now about 13000 miles ago

Last edited:
How did you go about tightening them on such a regular basis? I took a look at mine and tightened the 3 I could get to. The rest were either occupied by the poles that the spark plugs mount to, or required stuff that has to be regasketed to get to. Mostly IC tubes.

Back