Marine SC engine?

thundersc said:
Saw inboard 18' steel boat w/o V8 engine. How hard to make one of our SC engines into a Marine Engine?

not sure.. i know its doable and you could probly make a killer water to air IC cuas you have an endless suply of cold H20.

i remember not too long ago someone put an SC engine in an airplane

Just a few words to keep this thread alive

id like to see one in a boat

Chris

Its the carberation/fuel injection that needs to be approved...So I;d say the Eaton/EEC system is a no go..However I'm sure there is something for a carberated 3.8 or some other type of fuel inejction..

Someone who knows more about this can better explain it...I;m not that person

However it sure would be a cool boat motor

how the hell would the coast guard know. just register it as a normal boat with the stock engine. I think it'd be neat, but you don't want to rev it so high for so long.

It should be fine for marine use but the convo kit will be hard to find. Here is what you need. The kit is a exhaust manifold that water will pass just like a exchanger to keep the temp on the exhaust cool. The motor must be setup with brass freeze plugs. You might find what you are looking for in a boat junkyard. You will need to find one from a ford V6. Get all the hoses and make a note of all the hook ups.This is what the coast guard is looking for. You see a hot exhaust in a sealed boat with gas fumes is a no no. The boats that run headers are installed upwords so they are air cooled. I used to mod boats years ago but we could not mess to much with the exhaust. If you run carborated you need to have a spark arester air cleaner. Any leaking fuel in a boat goes to the builge. Too many vapors and heat or spark and BOOM.

the roots blower shoudl be fine cause I know whipple makes twin blower marine motors. Very cool motors.

Pocket Rocket

You would allso need a spark proof marine starter and alt. and a heat exchanger for the cooling system plus water pump for the heat exchanger. The raw water could be pumped through a water to air intercooler(nice cold charge)then to the heat exchanger for the cooling system then go through the marine exhaust and get dumped out with the exhaust.
Now dump that sucker in a light weight 16 foot hull and you would have a hot little pocket rocket.

I'v been boating on Long Island for over 30 years. My other toy besides my 91 SC and my 79 F-250 4x4 SC (Super Cab) is a 1973 15 foot Checkmate with a worked 140 V4 puting out about 180 hp to a 27" pitch stainless chopper prop. It would be the talk of the beach if you pulled up in 3.8 SC powerd hotboat.

Good luck, Id love to see it.
Scott

The fuel injection always has to be approvedmfrom what I know..A carberated Roots blown 3.8 perhaps..

And if by chance your boat cathces fire or explodes and the coast gaurd finds out you cheated///Jail

Back