Reduced highway mileage??

Digitalchaos

Today I used half a tank of gas (3/4 - 1/4) traveling to and from Chicago, approx. 103 miles. This same car traveled 130 miles coming from Wisconson on a 1/4 tank of gas.

What would account for this difference? Judging from what I have seen around town, I think it is recent. Of course, there are no other signs/symptoms..

well, dirtier air filet, dirtier spark plugs, dirtier fuel filter, more heat enters ur intake since its getting into summer now making the air less dense, lots and lots of other stuff man, too many to list,

I am aware of all the basics, but this is definately a significant recent change. Additionaly, warmer weather should bring about better fuel economy, as the air charger is less dense and therefore less fuel will enter the combustion chamber, making less power. This has an effect similar to 'lightening up' your foot on the gas pedal, and is one of the reasons why we get worse economy in Winter.

For those who don't yet know, I've newer plugs/wires (autolite motorcraft), newer air filter, PCV valve, other tuneup items.

I was sitting in rushhour traffic for maybe 30 -40 minutes yesterday, can this make a significant impact?

Digitalchaos said:
I was sitting in rushhour traffic for maybe 30 -40 minutes yesterday, can this make a significant impact?

Geez.... We have a winner and noone even got a chance to answer. 0mph = 0mpg.

Chris

yes it does, sitting in traffic, in idle means ur getting ZERo MPG, just wasting gas man, I used to drive 15 Miles to work, MAPQUEST says it was only a 13 minute drive but with traffic this bad in LOS ANGELES turned out to be like 25 Minute drive, Then pick up my girlfriend in SOUTH GATE which is like 13 miles from my house and come back and take her to the airport for her other job which is 12 miles away, all in all i used to waste about 5-7 gallons a day, 25 bucks of gas every 2 days, now its 10 bucks a gas every day,

Back