anti-lock light coming on?

89Superbird5spd

i have an 89 5spd, whenever i step on the brakes the antilock light and the red light for the handbrake both flash for a second or so then turn off. this happens whether i hit the brakes rolling or at a stop. any advice? thanks fellas
-RJ

Accumulator

the ABS and Brake "warning indicators" flashing in sequence indicate a failed accumulator. This is a "relatively easy" fix. Contact the folks at Prior Remanufacturing www.priorreman.com and tell them you need an accumulator for a Teves Mark II ABS (they will know what to send you). It should cost a little more than $100 (US). There is a procedure that you need to follow in order to de-pressurize the system, and getting to the accumulator is a little difficult (the round steel ball under the brake fluid reservoir). Replacing the accumulator now will save the hydraulic pump (aka master cylinder) from failing due to over cycling. There should be details on how to make this repair on the BBS (do a search for accumulator), or I can email you some diagrams and instructions....

Mine does the same thing with the lights coming on. The pump also runs for 1 second every 10 seconds or so, I figured it needs a new accumulator. I'll just add it to my list.

As long as you have power brakes, you're OK, but with the low pressure you don't have ABS.. be prepared for it. You don't have to panic yet, but don't wait 5,000 miles to take care of it; you will eventually loose power assist altogether. :eek:

Back