Speedo / odometer

I was just about to post the same question! My speedo works fine (sticks a little in hot weather), but I just noticed my trip counter and odometer are not moving. Somebody mentioned a connector towards the rear of the trans?

Actually, I just applied for "collector car" status on my 90SC with the DMV, which exempts me from safety and emissions inspections, but limits me to 3000 miles a year (really 6000 miles every two years). It sure would be neat if I could disconnect my odometer if I start approaching my mileage allottment! :D

I noticed it last night coming back from town, stopped for gas reset the trip meter and then noticed it wasn't turning anymore... Trip meter or odometer.... Figures finally get the reverse halo faces and end up with a dead odometer.... :mad:

RJ

Well, I did a search and it would seem that if the speedo works and odo doesn't, it is a problem in the speedo guage, or inside the odometer (broken gear tooth, something jammed up, etc.). Supposedly it is not too difficult to replace the entire speedo guage, but personally I'd like to keep my odometer reading the same...

Yea, it only has a three post plug in on the back of it.. I did the search too but no one had any real resolve to it besides swapping it out.. the 145 speedos are hard to come by and I didn't want to buy at a premium if I didn't have to..

I guess I'll pull it apart tonight and take a little more indepth look at the head itself..

RJ

There is a gear (sometimes two) that splits or looses teeth. I have successfully repaired one in the past with parts from an old cassette deck. Our local A/C speedo shop has the replacement gear, but charges through the nose to repair them. If you can find parts, its very do-able to repair. I would love to find an inexpensive source for these gears as I personally know of three T-Birds that have had the same problem.

does anybody have an update on this issue? Im afraid i might be suffering the same problme on my 94. The odometer/trip odometer just recently started failing on and off. I hope somebody has found something more about it.

CaifanSC said:
does anybody have an update on this issue? Im afraid i might be suffering the same problme on my 94. The odometer/trip odometer just recently started failing on and off. I hope somebody has found something more about it.

Hey CaifanSC, I've been bad, still haven't pulled mine apart, with all the Hurricanes and stuff lately I haven't even driven the SC much, too much crap on the roads.. Hopefully I'll get a weekend day and a little cooler drier weather to pull it down and look at it.. Someone said it was a gear that breaks.. I've got a local speedo shop here when I get it apart I'll check with them with parts availability...

RJ

Definatelly keep me posted man. Imma keep my eye on my odometer and i'd like to know my options if it keeps malfunctioning.

CaifanSC said:
Definatelly keep me posted man. Imma keep my eye on my odometer and i'd like to know my options if it keeps malfunctioning.

Speedo is working but the trip and Odometer have quit right??

RJ

kamakazie_1 said:
Speedo is working but the trip and Odometer have quit right??

RJ
RJ, I've heard that a sticker off the back of the speedo unit can fall off and get stuck in the Odometer mechanism. Have you removed the unit yet?

RJ, yes the spedometer and needle work perfectly. What doesnt work is the odometer/trip odometer. Its not 100% unoperational...it just cuts out on and off for no substantial reason. I have not removed the unit yet to check for that famous sticker that gets stuck...but i might do that soon.

CaifanSC said:
RJ, yes the spedometer and needle work perfectly. What doesnt work is the odometer/trip odometer. Its not 100% unoperational...it just cuts out on and off for no substantial reason. I have not removed the unit yet to check for that famous sticker that gets stuck...but i might do that soon.

Yea, Kurt I'd looked to see if I could see the sticker but I didn't see one... That intermitent is probably the cracked gear that someone else discribed to me.. Eventually it will fall off and stop working all together... Come to think of it I was getting those same intermitent problems to start with, before it quit completely..

RJ..

Same here RJ,
I haven't had a working odometer or trip meter since I bought my SC! I've been procrastinating getting back into my dash since the heater core project :rolleyes: I think I'm going to pick up a used one from Victor and tear into my old unit to find out what's up with it. If you do find the gear at your local spedo shop RJ let me know where so I can get one too.
But on the good side my SC still has 81,XXX miles on it! lol :D ;)

I had this problem too. I just replaced the speedo and set the mileage to where it was suposed to be.

The gears I think are part of the problem. I had one where one was all chewed up. Dust may also be playing a roll in this too.

Shane

Man, RJ...thats not what I wanted to hear! Well...at least i'll keep my eyes open for when it does go. Im one of those freaks that likes to have accurate digits on my clock. Im fraking out about it now and it just cuts off every now and then. As far as the gears go, i think you can probably buy a cheap 120mph speedo for any mn12, tear it up and grab whatever gears you need for your own speedo/odometer. Im not 100% but im thinking the gears should be the same for 120mph an 145mph speedos/odometers. Besides, if you tear down that other speedo you can practice so that you dont screw up yours!

i had mine repaired in 2000 by Palo Alto Speedometer paid $125 and it worked great till recently i think it might be afraid to hit the 100,000 mark ph#650-323-0243

Make sure you take a hard look for that famous sticker under extremely good lighting. I took mine in to the kitchen table and still couln't see it. I had to take the speedo assembly out to be able to get a flashlight in there really good and then I was able to see it. Just thought I would add that information. My problem was just the needle stopping. I did not notice the odometer stop. The trip odometer did not stop though. But, I think everything in there is electronic, so I could imagine that it could stop the odometer. Of course the broken gear thing could be the problem instead, I just wanted to add my experience.

Back