How to lock an Automatic motor up to not turn crank

91GreatWhiteSC

Im tryin to get my Harmoic Balancer off and i cant stop the crankshaft pulley from moving around, i need a way to stop the motor from turning i have an AUTO

An impact wrench is the best way around this problem. If you don't have air tools you can also rent an electric impact wrench, it works fine.

Rob Noth said:
An impact wrench is the best way around this problem. If you don't have air tools you can also rent an electric impact wrench, it works fine.
No air tools in my area trust me.....Not only this but i have an AMD Tech Tour im supposed to goto and a wedding so i need to get this finished tonight...Any help>

try this

The way I did it on mine was to take off the pulley, then run two of the pulley bolts back into the balancer. Then you can take a large screwdriver or pry bar and wedge it between the two bolts in such a way that you can hold opposite pressure while you break loose the balancer bolt. I hope this makes sense, kinda hard to describe. Anyway it worked fine for me. John

AnnivSpeCpe said:
The way I did it on mine was to take off the pulley, then run two of the pulley bolts back into the balancer. Then you can take a large screwdriver or pry bar and wedge it between the two bolts in such a way that you can hold opposite pressure while you break loose the balancer bolt. I hope this makes sense, kinda hard to describe. Anyway it worked fine for me. John
Anyone know the Torque specs on the crank pulley to put it back on, i give up....Ill have it done professionally if it dont take my motor out, because i cannot get that center bolt out.

Shockwave said:
I would go about 90 ft. lbs

Jerry
Now when puttin the crankshaft pulleys back on the Harmonic Balancer i was told that it has to go a certain way...how do iknow which way that is?????

Pass it on.

Underneath the engine where it the bell housing attaches, there is a rubber flap. Remove it, turn the crank slightly from the HB bolt until a flywheel bolt is accessible. Attach a wrench (as appropriate) to it and turn the crank until it is wedged against the tranny frame.. crankshaft now locked in place. ;)

Use a socket

"SCFan" is correct, but use a deep socket instead of a wrench.
Don't for get to take it off before you start the engine, "LOL"

91GreatWhiteSC said:
Now when puttin the crankshaft pulleys back on the Harmonic Balancer i was told that it has to go a certain way...how do iknow which way that is?????
One of the bolt holes is offset; shift the pulley around until all of the holes are perfectly lined up and you should be good.

I pulled off a balancer and put a new one on in about 25 minutes. I put the car on jack stands, climbed under it and put a deep 14mm socket on the drain plug for the TC (had to turn the crank bolt w/ a 22mm socket and a 2 ft. breaker bar till the plug came into view) then I pulled the bolt loose w/ the breaker bar since I don't have an impact wrench anymore (broke it).

Then I used a torque wrench to tighten the bolt, then remove the deep socket from the convertor, put the belts and upper hose back on, put fan back on, fire it up.

What I did with mine was before I put the balancer on the car , I lined up the pulley with the proper holes , and then marked it with some paint . Just spray them a little so that you can tell the general vicinity , that should do the trick . The crank pulley bolts torque spec is 10-15 ft. lbs. , and the balancer bolt is 100 ft. lbs. P.S. ( when I sprayed the balancer and pulley I guessed the general direction of 12 o'clock according to where the key was positioned on the crank shaft ) Spike

cant you just jam a screwdriver into the teeth of the flywheel to keep it from moving, i did that on my truck and it worked fine for me. may give that a try.

Back