brake booster going bad??

ddw350

i just put a new master cyl on[cause the pedal had excessive travel,and fluid dripping inside the car!] brakes feel a little better,but still go too far down and triggers the firm ride light[mainly at idle].it never went that far before.the cyl was professionly installed my a good mechanic,we even vaccumm bled thewheel cylinders at each wheel to ensure no air in lines...any other suggestions??

ddw350 said:
i just put a new master cyl on[cause the pedal had excessive travel,and fluid dripping inside the car!] brakes feel a little better,but still go too far down and triggers the firm ride light[mainly at idle].it never went that far before.the cyl was professionly installed my a good mechanic,we even vaccumm bled thewheel cylinders at each wheel to ensure no air in lines...any other suggestions??

Pull the Master cylinder off the booster. If the old master cylinder seal was leaking it will fill the brake booster with brake fluid. Thus lowering the ability of the booster. Also check the preload of the booster on the master cylinder rod. An adjusting rod preloads the master cylinder. See your shop manual.

i also noticed a slight increase in idle as i pump the brakes at idle.at highway speeds the brakes are fine,the pedal feels normal,probably cause of more vaccumm?i did see a little fluid in the booster when i changed the master cyl.oh yea,my shop manuel got tossed when my girlfriend did "spring cleaning",but all the books with cloths and purses in are still there!hmmmmm.

ddw350 said:
i also noticed a slight increase in idle as i pump the brakes at idle.at highway speeds the brakes are fine,the pedal feels normal,probably cause of more vaccumm?i did see a little fluid in the booster when i changed the master cyl.oh yea,my shop manuel got tossed when my girlfriend did "spring cleaning",but all the books with cloths and purses in are still there!hmmmmm.

If you have brake fluid in the booster you need to pull it and clean it out. The fluid will damage the booster. I had a bad master cylinder and fluid filled the booster. I decided to get one from a junk yard. Three nuts hold the booster to the fire wall, disconnect the Brake switch and unbolt the master cylinder from the booster. Slide the booster out of the way and clean it then let it dry out. If you need a shop manual I have them on CD $5.00 1993-1997 years only.

Rich

looks like a reman booster is $85[our cost atwork] would it be worth getting a new one? also what would cause it to idle up as you hit the brakes.they never seem to "pump up" when you hit them several times.the booster actually looks like a big job,i think once the master cyl is out of the way,its pretty simple.thats why i ask if its better to get a new one,incase cleaning doesnt work.

If you need info on the older systems 89-92 let me know I'll fax you the brake info from my Haynes...just give me a number

actually i have a 94,whichlooks a little easier to deal with.ive seen pics of the earlier set up,it looks pretty complicated...im gona call around and see if anyone herehas a clue to whats going on[which i doubt] with my brakes.i'll do a search to on this site and see if that helps any.i hate to go replacing stuff i dont really no anything about! hell,i dont even know if what i'd be replacing is.. bad or not thanks for all the input!

Back