possible to remove ps pump without touching alternator??

GREATWHITE666

is it? im already taking off ic tube and ic, can i leave the alternator alone? dont wanna mess with something i dont have too, thanks so mcuh-
Damon

I think the obstacle might be that you'd have to pull the whole bracket forwards to get clearance to get the pump out. That may require that you take the alt off, but I'm not certain. Its not a bad job. I just take the SC top and upper IC tube off as one piece, then move the coil pack out of the way to get to the hidden "L" bracket, and a couple more bolts and you're done. Be sure to remove the negative batt cable if you do this.

No you don't need to take it off the bracket if thats what you mean. You need to take off the entire braket it's mounted to. 3 bolts is all it is, 1 of which goes into the cylinder head. So be careful when you put it back on.

thanks

so i shouldnt touch the bolts that hold the alt to the bracket? what about the belt tensioner next to the alt leave that on the bracket too? so take the coil pack off first then find the 3 bolts holding the bracket on? thanks so much for the replies guys, it's helping me a lot--
Damon

Same Game

As i pulled my SC into the garage Monday I noticed smoke coming out from under the hood. My heart sank as I smelled burning oil, but it turns out to be the power steering pump or hose.
Why does knowbody know what a spanner wrench is anymore? Anybody know where to get one for removing the intake tube? I ended up removing the top of the charger with tube attached. Also I'm told I need a special tool to remove the pully from the pump and reinstall it on the new. I'm not sure what kind of special tool I need. Any Help?
I've managed to remove the Alternator, but the Hanes manual states the cooler must be removed to get to the pump. Any experience here is helpfull! :)

The pulley remover tool you should either be able to buy or rent at autozone. I'm getting ready to replace my p/s pump too. I'm not sure about having to remove the ic.

I think supercoupe performance sells spanner wrenches. But like you said, you can just take off the top with the tube, the only real reason you would need a spanner is if you installed a raised top.

Greatwhite, I just took off the 3 bolts and slid the entire assembly off, nothing else was taken off. I didn't have any significant clearance problems caused by whatever is attached to the bracket. Just make sure you take off the accessory belt!

great

thank you very much tony! gonna try to tackle the job today. might post here again to see whats going on with the other guys, thanks ahain-
Damon

ps pump removal tool

There are a couple of types of tools available, not expensive, but worth it.
The one I thinks works the best has a split jaw clamp w/ a sleave that fits on the nose of the pulley, be careful: sometimes the sleave is not small enough to hold the split jaw clamp in place and it will pop off when tension is built. To prevent this use heavy duty hose clamps. By pulling the pulley this way, you dont have to remove the entire bracket from the car to pull water pump or ps pump.
As for the spanners they are still available. When I was in the Service one came in a mechanic's tool set we ordered, and it was large enough to use on the collar. Not only that but the handle was alum. and the pawl was hard non-spark bronze. Had to trim the pawl to fit the notches in collar but it works great. Spanners are also by firefiters for hoses and by Marine (shipbuilding) electricians for special water-tite cable connections.
LOL mike
p.s. when puttinh the pulley back on the ps pump, it goes on easier if you heat it in the oven to about 250 F.
p.p.s make sure the threads in the ps pump shaft are clean before pressing on pulley.

Back