Help disassembling m5r2

fivaxis

I have gotten to these 2 nuts that have been smashed down for locking. I'm not really sure how to disassemble the trans but it looks like these gotta go. I tried hammering a screwdriver filed to a point in the groove but I can't get the metal to come up - is there another way to remove these? Can these nuts be reused at all?

trans3.jpg

Is locktite good enough? I may just get a new nut depending on how much it costs or if it comes with the kit.

I got the big nut off, I chiseled out the material out of the groove. Now I'm trying to get the little one off, it's being stubborn.

you need to get the metal out of the keyway. AS you can see...its a saftey so the nut doesn't back off. If you dont get it out completely then you'll trash the threads. Go easy on the nut because once you get it back together....you'll need to lock it down the same way. I've done 3 of these trannys and know them inside and out.

that was 150thousand miles ago and its still going i used the red locktite for stud and bearing mount , i think some of the old tab was left to lock the nut down also

i never had trouble with the threads i think that would be a rare situation but still be carefull maybe oil the threads, also my tranny had lots of endplay on the main shaft it was probably more than 1/8 of an inch i shimmed it up a lot

Last edited:
mad.gif
I can't get the smaller one to budge. I've gotten all the metal I can out, tried torching it and used an 18" torque wrench standing on the wrench and it won't turn at all. I'm going to try getting an impact wrench, I don't know what else to do.

Ok an impact wrench got the nut off. Now I'm at a new problem, I can't figure out how to get the gears out of the case.

What am I missing here? The input shaft can't come out, the output shaft can't come out, and there's no way to slide the gears off.

transa.jpg

Last edited:
:p I didn't realize all you had to do is tilt the whole assembly up. Thanks to Charkly for helping out on AIM.

Back