wot problems, need help!!

supercatxr7

Okay, car runs fine as long as I don't go into wot. Once under wot the car will cut out at about 4800+ rpm and 16lbs of boost. It immediately backfires, black smoke from exhaust, goes pig rich with air to fuel of around 9:1 and barely runs. If I stop and shut the car off, and then restart, it is fine. I have replaced DIS (2 new ones and one off a car in the Junkyard), Coil, Cam Sensor, Crank Sensor, Plug Wires, plugs were done twice, fuel filter also done twice. I do have an exhaust leak at the header, but I don't think it is causing the problems. I have a aeromotive afpr, maybe it's going bad?

Should I look into fuel problems as it is going super rich and staying rich until I turn off key and restart? Need some help quick, as v6 challenge is Sunday and I can't seem to get the problem solved.

solved, hopefully...

I think it was a plug on #5 cylinder. I first changed 1 through 3 with AP764's, still cutting out. I then changed 4 through 6, took a few test runs and seems to be okay now. I had brand new NGK Iridiums in the car, I think one of them may have been bad. #5 plug was half black on one side of the tip and lower area, and normal on the other. So much for wasting all that time changing everything else. Oh well, looks like I have all new ignition equipment. THis all began with the burning off of a tip of one of my Denso Iridium plugs that had been in the car for over a year. I decided I would save a little cash and get the NGK Iridium plugs. I broke one putting it in due to header clearance issues and it appears another was bad. Next set of Iridiums will be Denso again. But, I may just stick with the AP764's if they hold up.

Mark, people have had good results with iridium plugs more in spite of them than because of them. A good copper plug is best for a boosted application regardless of what you may have read.

Back