cats or no cats

trife86

hey guys i read alot on having cats and no cats here but here is what i ask

ive read alot of guys not liking the sound or anything and i read of it lowering boost. or does the gauge read lower because how its being measured but all the boost is still actually there?

right now i have the flowmaster force 2 system with no resonator. will i have a gain on going with no cats?

emissions is no problem either

exhuast

I myself have run my exhuast pretty much all the ways you can think of, with cats and res, and with just cats, and with just res, here are some of my pro's and cons for each setup

cats and res: good boost, not too nice of a sounds, and risk on the headgaskets.

cats with y pipe: good tone, low boost, loss of power sometimes, lower gas mileage

y pipe with res(no cats): the best setup i had, nice tone, stable boost, still free flowing with alittle backpressure,

Y pipe(no cats no res) : worst performance for me

you should either have cats or the res, a full free flow exhuast on these cars sumtimes isnt the best

just my opinion

Boost vs. Exhaust Type

The lower boost pres. caused by a free flowing exhaust, is a result of less exhaust gases trying to push back into the intake manifold. In a sense pseudo-boost.

Think of it another way. The free flowing exhaust in no way changes the way your intake or supercharger system works. The SC is still pushing the SAME AMOUNT of air as it did before. You still have the same number of air molecules as you had before. Since the SC isn't working against the exhaust backpressure, the boost pressure is lower, and the intake temp is also slightly reduced. Less intake temp = less detonation.

Don't get all hung up on boost pressure, unless your supercharger is cabable of pushing more air, & doing it more effieciently, (ie: modified blower).

BTW: I'm running the "Big Dawg" SCCoA exhaust (headers, 2.5" down pipes, no cats, no res, single 3.5" center, & dual 2.5" turbo muffs)

68COUGAR

Last edited:
68 cougar, how is the sound of the turbo mufflers?

My sc has no cats/res, just the stock mufflers, I think it makes a consistant amount of boost :) If you have no emmisions, I would just get some mufflers.

When the Big Dawg barks, Everybody Looks!!!!!

sc0tty8 said:
68COUGAR, how is the sound of the turbo mufflers?
The Coy 1 cam gives it a pronounced lope at idle, kinda like a cammed 428CJ. The turbo muffs get really ricey when I get on it, but that's only a problem for people OUTSIDE the car. When I bought the Big Dawg, I already knew that it sounded like a bee in a bottle. A good Hi-Flo res. would fix that, but would also create a little bit more backpressure. My goal with the Big Dawg, was to remove all bottlenecks in the exhaust. I was tired of doing HG's!!!!! The single 3.5" center flows almost as much as the dual 2.5" pipes.

My Big Dawg has a very loud D-R-O-W-N between 1800 & 2000 rpm. When I hit that rpm in town, I just downshift (5-spd), & the drone goes away. Again, I'm sure that a good Hi-Flow res. would cure the drone.

68COUGAR

I love the way my exhaust sounds. headers with high flow cats, true duals and dyno max mufflers. I have a 5% pulley and make 11.5 pounds of boost. Freeing up the exhaust is a great idea but if you dont use the right pieces it will end up sounding ricey.

trife86: hey guys i read alot on having cats and no cats here

I don't know about cats,But some times I let my dog ride in the SC.
:D

RANDY

Back