Cooling Fan Motor not working....NEED HELP!!!!!

lube70

Well, I just put the new engine in my 89 SC and it has been running higher than I like on the gauge. Never overheated or got above "m" in norm. I

I used to run the A/C and leave the fan on. I just switched to a 90 Processor to delete the EGR valve check engine light and fans were fine.

Now, with A/C on, fan will not come on with it. It will idle and heat up and then the fan comes on at about "m" in norm and the whole engine slows down due to current draw for the fan.

My guess is the fan is not working at low speed. Big question is can you unplug the ECT sensor and make the high speed fan come on??? Mine will not come on doing this and I thought that this was a way to test it.

I also did the code scan and got code 88---Electro-Drive fan failure----

Is this the end for the fan or is it possibly an IRCM issue. I swapped the IRCM off a 90 onto it and no go.

Could I just have a bad fan. Tried jumping the fan out and can't get it to run.

Really need help!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance........

Don

Radiator fan Trouble

I have a 1990SC with an auto. I too am having problems with my radiator fan. For the past few weeks, i've noticed that my radiator fan doesn't turn on as the engine gets hot. At low speeds, I can turn on the A/C so that the fan will start and cool the engine. However at highway speeds this doesn't work and my fan remains off as the enging gets hotter. I know the fan works, it just doesn't turn on by itself when the engine gets hot. Is there a sensor or a switch that i need to check or replace so that my fan will turn on by itself??

Thanks,
Brando

maybe the coolant temperature sensor is bad? mine gives a code, COOLANT TEMP SENSOR OUT OF RANGE, my fan never came on, what i did, i did what other people have done on this board, un bolted the fan relay, fouind the number 14 cable and cut it, made the fan come on when ignition is on. Dont know if u wanna do that but it should help. check it out.

Where is the coolant temp sensor?

Where is the coolant temperature sensor located?? Do i need to drain the coolant to remove it?

Brando

with the ECT unplugged, the fan should be running. If it is not, you have a problem with the relay or fan

Where is ECT located

Where can i find to ECT(Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor located so I can test it to see if it's the relay that is malfunctioning.

Thanks,
Brando

Brando B said:
Where can i find to ECT(Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor located so I can test it to see if it's the relay that is malfunctioning.

Thanks,
Brando
See pic below

Attachments

• ECTSensorPlug.jpg
    ECTSensorPlug.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 364
Back