Potential Lowering Problems

JROD

Im getting ready to install 3" lowering springs (despite opposition) and want to know what problems I might encounter or considerations I should make. For example, will doing this allow any shock/strut travel (because if lowering that much essentially eliminates all shock/strut travel, then I wont bother replacing them)? Will I need to make other alterations or replacements of other suspension parts, such as the control arms, sway bars, etc.? I am willing to sacrifice comfort, but would like to be able to maintain, if not increase cornering/handling and steering ability....so what will I need to do? Are there any other things I should know? Also, what is the best method of trimming/eliminating inner fender lips to prevent tire rub? I would greatly appreciate any input on this, or anything related to lowering that might help. Thanks.

about the biggest problem your gonna have is the planet mother earth as you plow her with your oil pan because there isn't much more than 3" under these cars.i did a 1" drop and there isn't that much room under there.here is link to my web pages and look at the side views http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/613452

3" drop. I still have about 2" between the ground and my terminator resonator

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 311
Tazer999 said:

I like the way that looks and am willing to accept the probably risk of some scraping, but have you had any problems once you lowered it 3" (whether it be handling, steering, or otherwise)? Did you do any other modifications to go along with it?

I have my 90 lowered with tokico/eibach combo.I recently replaced sway bars with addco front and rear.Handleing is awesome.The only problems I run into is just getting into my driveway-really steep sidewalk.It does drag and I can even get a rear wheel to come off the ground every now and then :D depending on my approach angle.As far as everthing else I have no complaints

suprkoop said:
I have my 90 lowered with tokico/eibach combo.I recently replaced sway bars with addco front and rear.Handleing is awesome.The only problems I run into is just getting into my driveway-really steep sidewalk.It does drag and I can even get a rear wheel to come off the ground every now and then :D depending on my approach angle.As far as everthing else I have no complaints

Yea....You dropped your SC 1.5" approx. and you are scraping...I used the Eibachs as well and like the lowered look...I suppose it depends on what you want to use the car for. If it is a daily driver then I would say that 3" might not be in yours or the cars best interest.

Tazer...So what you are saying is that you have plenty of clearance "2 inches" and that there are no worries with a 3" drop?? I beg to differ...A stock SC parked in the grass looks dropped BTW...

Brad

I agree with Cudaz-3" is a little too radical for everyday use I think.I guess it all depends on where you live-ie what the roads are like.I live in the Boston area so 3 inch would be vehicle suicide :eek: Mine is close to 2inch after everything settled and I think that is about max to be able to drive the car.One more thing,I just pulled my motor and trans last week for a rebuild and my oil pan has some nice groves in it from my driveway :eek:As far as your other questions,replacing shocks with ones meant for lowered cars is a good idea.You would probably kill your stock ones if you lower it because they are not designed for that.Like I mentioned ,I used the eibach springs(gives you 1.5" drop) combined with the tokico illuminas(gives an additional .5 inches)which are designed as a direct replacement for the ARC in our cars.I personaly love this setup-looks awesome,handles great.I recently added the addco swaybars(HUGH!!! :D ) for additional handling and replaced ALL my bushings with poly bushings.The stock ones that came out showed signs of normal wear(cracking/dry rotting).My lowering was done 5 years ago so I dont think you would have trouble with suspension components that are stock other than shocks,if you decide to leave the stockers.As far as tire rub,right now I'm running 16" OZ wheels with 245/50-16 BF's and have no issues with rub.I am going to 18's so hopefully I'll still be OK. ;) Good luck-hope this info helps,and go for it.SC's look awesome lowered-its the way Ford should have done it

Last edited:
Just hope you never break down, because it'll never go on a flat bed without destroying the bumpers. I even had to use wood blocks when unloading my '93 (with 1.1/2" lower springs) off a flatbed. Hence I only lowered my '94 1".

hey suprkoop we have almost same cars in common.i want a lightning real bad but i just bought a house so have to wait a year or so.is your 95 sho a 5 speed?

Yeah,my SHO is a 5 speed.I actually got the car for free! :D The guy that owned it had it for like 6 months,he bought it from the original owner who had all the maintainence reciepts(oil changes every 2k,major service,etc).The guy I got it from put like all new brakes,tires,exhaust and other stuff -then the clutch went.He got qoutes of like 700-1000 to do it and he said nope so he gave me the car for free-score.The car is awesome too.I put in the clutch,a new clutch cable,rear main seal and a pan gasket and now its my daily driver.

And Jim is right,you WILL need boards putting it on a flatbed along with a tow guy who knows what he is doing.Mine has been flatbedded a few times and it worked out fine-just make them load it SLOW

Last edited:
this is a 1-3/4 clearance from the floor to the frame...and ya u will drag almost everywhere .regardless of how well u learn how to drive a lowered car ... altough i do like the handling better this way. but if i were u .. bag it youll be much happier around speed bummps etc...

Attachments

• IMG00006.JPG
    IMG00006.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 186
Tazer999 said:
Sorry, that does NOT look like a 3" drop. My car has 1.5" dropped springs (Eibach w/Bilsteins) and it looks exactly like that. If you had a 3" drop the tops of the tires would be well up into the body, more like creeperxr7's car.

Lets put it this way...take the spare oil pan advice. I have a stock height sc and I busted my oil pan today driving across the highway to beat a yellow light, bout 60miles an hour though still slammed my oil pan enough to smash it right open.

Back