Removing the Harmonic Balancer

SC-71 TBIRD

Hello All.

How difficulty is it to remove the harmonic balancer and what tools do I need to remove "and" install the part? How do I prevent the engine from turning if I take off the bolt and washer that holds it?

Thanks

Not hard

Straightforward procedure, took me about 2 hours and I work very slowly. You need a common two point puller that you screw into two of the pulley holes. Also a harmonic damper installer with the proper threads that screw into the crankshaft snout (most installer kits have multiple threaded adapters). John

That is great information, but I still need to know how I can remove the bolt and washer that holds the balancer to the crankshaft preventing the engine from turning ---- while applying force to remove the bolt. Did you remove the balancer from the top of the engine or the bottom.

Thanks

What is your car doing to let you know the harmonic alancer needs replacing. I'm getting what feels like a lower engine vibration while at idle. I wonder if I need to replace mine also.

That "might" be a sign that your balancer is going bad. My car had the same vibration for months until the pulley attached from the balancer and fell out the car while driving. :eek: All of the four bolts that held the pulley to the balancer was sheared off! What I was told in this forum was if the pulley breaks off the balancer most likely the balancer is bad. If I was you I would take a look into this.

Back