Vibration Problem

rolltide

I have a question. My 95 SC has a vibration problem/steering wheel hop at acceleration. I have had the wheels balanced 3 times. I have 17" Cobras on the car. A tire shop told me that my upper control arm ball joints need replaced and they were probably causing the vibration. Does this sound right or are they just trying to get some $$ out of me.

look at your front tiresand see if your starting to get a flat spot somewhere on one of them if so might be busted belt in tire.each time you got the tires balanced.were they out of balance?they show be able to show you on the balancing machine

another option

Any inputs would be very helpful please. I was also wondering if the spacers Ihave on the front wheels could be causing the problem. They are the universal type that do not fit very snug. Does anyone know where I can get some custom spacers for the car that match my bolt pattern.

This problem has ruined the nice ride of my car. I can't go above 70 without the steering wheel hopping around and the car vibrating. When in cruise, the car is much better, but upon acceleration, HOP!!! HOP!!!. Crazy annoying problem. Is the driveshaft an option.

same problem here

i have the same problem. everything started ever since i installed my spacers i have 19 inch wheels and when im going over 80 my car and the steering wheel shakes a lot if somebody can help is out we would apprciate it.

Ive had this problem twice in two different SCs. Check your tires for lumps, it was what did it to me twice. If you drive it fast at all and you have low speed rated tires you will make them develop knots.
Dan

Me To!!!!!!!

My 94 has 17" AR Sniper aluminum wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires and it still shakes but not as bad. The SC had the Snipers and 1/2 worn Goodyears on it when I bought it. It shook bad then. So I replaced the upper A arms and the sway arm bushings when I bought it because it needed it. When I had the Michelins originally installed and DYNAMIC balanced (no weights on the outside of the rim - stick ons close to the outside and regular weights on the inside) it shook like a bitch all over. I was pissed having just spent $800 for tires. Then I took it to Tires Plus and had them DYNAMIC balance the tires with a Hunter 9000 balancer. This was the balancer that The Tire Rack (the internet tire company I got the tires from) recommended. It still shook. I took it back and they STATIC balanced (stick ons close to the outside of the rim) the tires. The front shake nearly disappeared although the car still had a slight irratating vibration. Then I took them to a brand new BJs that had brand new balancers and they both DYNAMIC and STATIC balanced them and the shake got worse. Soooooooo I went back to Tires Plus and had them STATIC balance them again on the Hunter 9000 and the front still shakes a little below 80 and a lot at 80+ MPH.

QUESTION: Does anyone have this shake problem with stock SC rims? From the posts it appears we all have larger aftermarket aluminum wheels. Could that be the problem? Does the wheel offset need to be exactly the same as the stock SC rims? Just some food for thought!

Ed Springer
90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:73 Gears, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, TRANSGO Shift Kit, ProTorque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Tokico Struts & Shocks, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 Lbs.Ft. Torque

I have figured out my problem... I had a set of Kelly Chargers 255-45-ZR17 on the rear & those tires were Junk, I bought Hankook ZR same tires size and everything & the shake is gone. I Never had any kind of problem with my stock SC wheels on my car or when i had Falken 245-45-ZR17 tires. All started when i had the Kellys put on..... So all in all i guess its wiser to pay the extra money to get some good ZR Tires.

Jay

I have a problem with my GY Eagle GT-HRs. All of the tires seem to shake the same amount and doesn't matter whether they are on the front or back. The rims are fine with only a slight perceptible wobble.. but not enough to cause that sort of shake. Since my suspension is tight, I looked around and noticed that my spacer (to get an older style hub to work with the rotor and wheel) that I fabricated did not fit perfectly. I stuffed some pieces of scrap metal around it to make up the gap and it seemed to be much better. My next idea is to simply get the right hub for my car.

I'd look closely at any spacers you might be using. Also, if the rotor+wheel do not fit flush against the hub, its going to vibrate.

They used to have a machine at tire shops which would spin the wheels on the car. NTB doesn't have it, so I'm going to find a place which does to figure out which is the problem wheel. :)

Back