PDA

View Full Version : rubber shroud under radiator...required?

bigcletus94
05-31-2004, 12:09 AM
Recently, this shroud became loose (after taking it on and off a million times) and I just yanked it off. I am wondering if this will cause any problems without having it on the car? Like cooling problems or excessive debris problems? Thanks.

stocker 89
05-31-2004, 06:27 PM
I took mine off a long time ago . Haven't noticed any problems with keeping motor cool. My thoughts are it was there to help keep water off the cranksensor and other componets. Might be there to keep better aerodynamic airflow under the car under windy conditions going around corners at a high rate of speed on a banked track , So the front end don't lift do to gust being forced up into the motor and trapt by the hood causing car to push.

bigcletus94
05-31-2004, 09:30 PM
My 93' Cobra has the same exact type of shroud under the radiator as well but it has never given me any problems since it sits sky high :rolleyes:

I guess I'll leave it off for now. Thanks for the input.

SeanMatteson
06-02-2004, 07:41 AM
If you talk with Vernon Cradier, he'll tell you that there are benefits to keeping the shield on the car. The less air you have going around the rad and into the engine compartment, the better. Optimally, you want the air getting into the engine compartment through the rad area only. This all makes logical sense.

That being said, I have had mine off the car for about two years, and the car still runs nice and cool. ...I've got an EEC tuner, and I'm running a 180 deg T-stat. The tuner turns the fan on earlier. These might be factors. If I ever get around to it, I will reinstall that shroud.

Cheers,

Sean

joenintiesc
06-02-2004, 07:56 AM
Mine's off too. It's filthy, and I'm trying to figure out how to clean it so I can put it back on...

TbirdSCFan
06-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Its there to divert air up into the radiator. Look at those 2 dinky inlet holes the front bumper and you'll see why this is necessary. It matters more to people like me who live in southern and hot climates. In mild weather it probably doesn't matter much.

sho taurus
06-02-2004, 03:53 PM
mine wasn't on when i bought mine and i'm not having any overheating issues.my temp needle never touches the "n".but i do want to put one back on just incase.they say you can use other cars types too.i'm just trying to get my ic alot cooler and i firgured that would help out some.plus i just bought a perma cool 8" fan for the ic too.

J57ltr
06-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Yes it is needed PERIOD.

Jeff

TbirdSCFan
06-02-2004, 10:33 PM
Oh wait.. if you're talking about the big floppy rubber cover, you may not need it. If you're talking about the 2" plastic air dam under the bumper cover, that's what diverts air up and that you should probably keep it.

MikeKanterakis
06-02-2004, 10:47 PM
I think it's there to stop air from recirculating back through the radiator when the car is a a stand still.