Vibration while at idle

93atlsc

When my car idles I feel a vibration which seems to be coming from the lower part of the engine. To feel the vibration I must sit in the car and focus on it. It can't be noticed while facing the engine with the hood up. I was thinking I may need to replace my harmonic balancer. What are the symptoms of a bad harmonic balancer? One of my engine mounts is new, the one most affected when the car is in drive, and the trans.mount is new also. THANKS

Last edited:
More than likely you have motor mounts that are going bad-this seems to be a common problem with the liquid mounts that Ford uses.

93atlsc said:
When my car idles I feel a vibration which seems to be coming from the lower part of the engine. To feel the vibration I must sit in the car and focus on it. It can't be noticed while facing the engine with the hood up. I was thinking I may need to replace my harmonic balancer. What are the symptoms of a bad harmonic balancer? THANKS

Birdman93 said:
More than likely you have motor mounts that are going bad-this seems to be a common problem with the liquid mounts that Ford uses.
The OEM mounts are good for about 90,000 miles. If you're feeling the vibrations, they are shot. You can drive on them for a while if it just started, but the engine oil pan is resting on the pwr steering lines. The weight of the engine will eventually crack the line or the oil pan or both.
Also, bad mounts can cause a low idle and sometimes the car will stall on you especially if you have the A/C running.

Really don't think its the mounts. The one on the driver side is (solid) and new. The trans. mount is (solid) and new also.

Not only a bad balancer ....could be the flywheel ... or clutch related.
Have you done any recent work on the motor or trans?

Back