Sealant for intercooler tubes

93atlsc

I probably need to reseal my intercooler tubes. How do I check them for leaks and what type of sealant do I use? THANKS.

YOu can check using propane around the joints, or you can just assume they need resealing and use something like the Ford I/C sealing tape, order the I/C tube gaskets from Tbird88, or use some sensor safe sealant. Many owners have said Copper RTV works well. I use the tape because thats what I bought last time.

You can check them with a propane torch. Open the gas valve on the torch and hold it close to the connections while the engine is at idle. If the engine rpm's increase, you have a leak.

You shouldn't need to re-seal them unless you feel someone didn't seal them properly before or you took the connections apart.

You can reseal them with Copper RTV. Texas Thunderbirds (http://www.datarecall.net/~tbird88/4sale1.htm) sells some gaskets that you can be re-used multiple times that work real well also.

I have a set of Wynn's (Tbird88) teflon gaskets, makes it really easy to reinstall the IC tubes. There is a guy on the buy/sell forum that is interesting in making some reusuable gaskets, and is giving away the first 5 for testing, plus the first 5 purchased will get them at 50% off of the $9.99 price. Just an FYI. click here for those

Back