PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Replacement

NRTrackStar
05-31-2004, 01:51 PM
I'm getting a new clutch installed in my 94, and just wanted to know what else I should have replaced while they have it all ripped apart. I've heard of slave cylinders leaking and stuff like that, so should I just have them replace those while they're at it? The car only has 42000 miles, but it kind of struggles going into second sometimes. It almost feels like the clutch isn't fully disengaging, but that's really the only gear that it does that in. Again, I've heard leaking slave cylinders can cause this to happen, so I was just wondering what you guys think I should do here. Thanks!

NR94mtSC
05-31-2004, 11:58 PM
slave cylinder and throwout bearing and pilot bearing too.

good chance to get rid of that crappy ATF in the tranny and put in some good Mobil 1 synthetic 5 w 30.

Chris

Tony8470
06-02-2004, 12:06 AM
Rear main seal as well. Do a search on other possible fluids if you are going to replace the fluid. I found there are ALOT of alternatives that work.

FearThis SC
06-02-2004, 08:19 AM
Get your Driveshaft rebuilted and balanced.....since it will be out anyways.

Joisey Jim
06-02-2004, 11:54 AM
42k seems low for a clutch change, but the slave cylinders are prone to leak with age, particularly in the winter. When the seal was cold mine would dump all the oil & then I'd fill it up and it would be ok for a couple of days. I finally did the clutch with 195,000m and the stock disc wasn't in bad shape. As for the slave it's actually incorporated into the clutch release mechanism. The external cylinder on the firewall is the master cylinder & although fairly durable they are tough to get to with the trans in place; so for about $80 extra I'd get it changed while you have the chance.

hawk
06-02-2004, 09:04 PM
slave cylinder and throwout bearing and pilot bearing too.

good chance to get rid of that crappy ATF in the tranny and put in some good Mobil 1 synthetic 5 w 30.

Chris
Hey chris, my slave cylinder is leaking and naturally car wont change gears now. What i want to know is can u relpace the slave cylinder without pulling out the tranny, mine is a 5 speed 89 SC. Guys at the shop want $800.00 to pull tranny and replace clutch and pressure plate while they r in there. Can I replace the slave cylinder withput removing tranny?
Thank you
hawk

Tony8470
06-02-2004, 09:09 PM
No, absolutley not.

hawk
06-02-2004, 09:20 PM
No, absolutley not.
Thank you for the bad news, now i know.
hawk