Guages not working, where do I start?

sizemoremk

Stock 93 aod

I got some prollems wid my guages...

I bought the car not running, and found out it was out of gas, now it runs...

The guage showed half a tank, when I put some gas in it, it went up to 3/4 tank. The temp guage was reading high also (before it was ever started). The tach was working a few weeks ago, now it isn;t working. The spedo isn't working either. The odometer is also stuck at 69K. The boost guage works, but I guess it had no electronics and is entirely mechanical. I ddn't notice the oil pressure guage. I guess the gear could be off of the tranny, but that don't explain the tach, temp, or gas guage.

I checked all the fuses of course, so what do I try next? Is the cluster gone? Is there any fuses internal to the guage cluster or anything?

Thanks guys!

Have you pulled the cluster out to determine whether the two main multiplugs in the back are properly seated?

If the speedo is dead, the odometer will likely not work either. That would be consistent with no signal coming into it.

Are you sure the cluster that's in the car is the right one? I've heard that there are differences in the pin-outs from year to year, and perhaps someone at some point substituted the wrong cluster.

Cheers,

Sean

SeanMatteson said:
Have you pulled the cluster out to determine whether the two main multiplugs in the back are properly seated?

If the speedo is dead, the odometer will likely not work either. That would be consistent with no signal coming into it.

Are you sure the cluster that's in the car is the right one? I've heard that there are differences in the pin-outs from year to year, and perhaps someone at some point substituted the wrong cluster.

Cheers,

Sean

Son of a....

I just won an auction for one out of a 90 model. Does anyone have an idea if this one will work?

sizemoremk said:
Son of a....

I just won an auction for one out of a 90 model. Does anyone have an idea if this one will work?

I think you're out of luck on that one. I drive a '90 SC, and the cluster I got was out of a '92 or '93. What you can do though is to pull all the gauges out of the cluster and swap them into your original cluster. It's the printed circuit board in the back that is the problem. The gauges themselves are the same (from '89 to '93, I think).

Regards,

Sean

SeanMatteson said:
I think you're out of luck on that one. I drive a '90 SC, and the cluster I got was out of a '92 or '93. What you can do though is to pull all the gauges out of the cluster and swap them into your original cluster. It's the printed circuit board in the back that is the problem. The gauges themselves are the same (from '89 to '93, I think).

Regards,

Sean

Would the prblems be with the guages themselves though??? Isn;t it unlikely that al the guages went bad? Isn't it the circuit board the likely culprit? Less there is a lose connector or somthing...

I did notice that one of the previoius owners, the moron, put some extremely high valued fuses in the wrong places...

I guess I need to get deeper in there.

Thanks guys!

Back