suddenly won't start !

John Valerioti

I just bought my 1990 SC about a month ago, for a friend who took great care of her both physically and mechanicly....it's a well maintained Coupe with 209k....I went out to start it the other day...and suddenly it would not start...it just cranks...as if it is not getting fuel. ( there is 1/2 a tank)..or maybe no spark,,,,it was not bumped , but I checked the fuel cut-off in the trunk anyway , and it was fine....I am a backyard wrenchhead,,,,but this is my first Ford since my 66 mustang long ago.....any ideas why she suddenly quit?..Thanks for any help..John

Well you can check for fuel pressure at the rail. If you have a fuel pressure gauge it's better, but you can do a simple check by very carefully pressing the pin on the shraeder valve to see if there is fuel pressure there. Be careful of hot surfaces and the spray of gasoline.

Is it an automatic? Does the upshift light flash while the engine is cranking?

If so, check the harmonic balancer. The main sensor on the SC that will prevent it from starting is the Crankshaft Sensor. If this sensor isn't supplying a signal the EEC will not start the engine. It's mounted near the harmoic balancer which has a toothed gear bolted to it. This sensor reads this gear. If the balancer has walked forward on the crankshaft it can damage this sensor or the sensor will be out of range.

there should be a large bolt in the center of the crankshaft that helps to retain the balancer. Did the head break off that bolt?

Mike8675309 said:
Well you can check for fuel pressure at the rail. If you have a fuel pressure gauge it's better, but you can do a simple check by very carefully pressing the pin on the shraeder valve to see if there is fuel pressure there. Be careful of hot surfaces and the spray of gasoline.

Is it an automatic? Does the upshift light flash while the engine is cranking?

If so, check the harmonic balancer. The main sensor on the SC that will prevent it from starting is the Crankshaft Sensor. If this sensor isn't supplying a signal the EEC will not start the engine. It's mounted near the harmoic balancer which has a toothed gear bolted to it. This sensor reads this gear. If the balancer has walked forward on the crankshaft it can damage this sensor or the sensor will be out of range.

there should be a large bolt in the center of the crankshaft that helps to retain the balancer. Did the head break off that bolt?
Thanks for the suggestions,,,it is an automatic,,,I have to check to see if the upshift lamp is on while cranking,,Ill let you know,,thanks again,,John

John Valerioti said:
Thanks for the suggestions,,,it is an automatic,,, ,John

Well guess what?...I went out to the car again after it had been sitting a few days,,,and it started,,,I did not do a thing !...it had rained the day it did not start...now I'm thinking electical.....I feel like I'm going to get stuck somewhere if I do nothing....now what? :confused:

my vote is cam sensor.mine did the same thing.my would start for like 1/2 the day.but then i tried again few hours later and it started and check engine light was on.drove it home.tried to restart and it wouldn't and i noticed all the way home my tach didn't work.that's a sure sign i believe,tach didn't move even when i was trying to crank it i think.it's only like $20 i think at napa.and it's right upfront,2 8mm bolts (i think) and a plug

sho taurus said:
my vote is cam sensor.mine did the same thing.my would start for like 1/2 the day.but then i tried again few hours later and it started and check engine light was on.drove it home.tried to restart and it wouldn't and i noticed all the way home my tach didn't work.that's a sure sign i believe,tach didn't move even when i was trying to crank it i think.it's only like $20 i think at napa.and it's right upfront,2 8mm bolts (i think) and a plug
Thanks for the tip...for the 20.00 I'll give it a try...I will also check my tach when I go out to start it as well ...THANKS AGAIN !, John

Back