Can guage clusters be swapped from 89-93 SCs?

sizemoremk

I am seeing conflicting things here.

I got a 93 with a bad cluster, and I just won an auction for a 90 model guage cluter, but no I hear that the pinouts are different....

Some other posts i ave read lead me to believe that the early year SCs will interchange...

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks guys?

nope, pinouts are different. Sorry. You can make it work if you have the pinouts and want to change your dash harness to match the 90 cluster.

XR7 Dave said:
nope, pinouts are different. Sorry. You can make it work if you have the pinouts and want to change your dash harness to match the 90 cluster.

Yeah they are different, but I swapped a '94 cluster into my '91 but I had to rearrange the wires in the connector. Took a few hours, but I got printouts of the connectors and compared the wire colors and labels, ie I did it on paper first. :D

Mike Donley

MickeyD LX50 said:
Yeah they are different, but I swapped a '94 cluster into my '91 but I had to rearrange the wires in the connector. Took a few hours, but I got printouts of the connectors and compared the wire colors and labels, ie I did it on paper first. :D

Mike Donley

Where did ya get the wiring diagrams???

I am talking about the 90 going into a 93, that's what ya'll meant right?

What exactly burnout on your old one? If the printed circuit is still good you should be able to just swap out the guages... I did a similar swap though (put a 93 LX cluster in my 91 base bird) and its not too hard to do.

I only had the diagram for the 91 so what I did was trace the new cluster pinouts (they're fairly easy to trace on the printed circuit for the 93, the 91 you may need to remove which if you remove all the guages and then the clips for the guage contacts it will come right off). Each connector on the back should be labeled B+ (12v constant) G (ground) or S (signal) so it's pretty easy to figure out (the tach on the new one may have a 4th pin your old one doesnt labeled Cyl... I didnt connect it and mine works fine, no clue what that is for though). Only problem I'm having is with the oil pressure guage but then again I did this a year ago and really havent felt like tearing back into it since... I think I read the bases have a different oil pressure sender. One of these days.... haha

sizemoremk said:
Where did ya get the wiring diagrams???

I am talking about the 90 going into a 93, that's what ya'll meant right?

The connector diagrams are in the shop manual.

It doesn't matter which way you swap, early into later or later into early, it
is the same idea.

Mike Donley

Back