I need speed!

bustedbird

After my embarassing loss to the Lebaron, I need some help. I need to know what will give me the most bang for my buck. I have roughly $600 to spend and need more horsepower. Any suggestions?

P.S. The car is stock except for cat-back exhaust.

I would reccomend a good tuneup...some Accell Wires and Denso IT20 plugs...Fuel filter and a K&N filter...See how that goes

Thanks for the suggestion, but instead of the filter, would you suggest cold air induction? How much more would that effect the preformance?

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
I would reccomend a good tuneup...some Accell Wires and Denso IT20 plugs...Fuel filter and a K&N filter...See how that goes

Do a search for low cost mods.

You can pull the air silencer out for free.
get a K&N panel air filter or find a used 3 inch intake and cone K&N air filter.

Get those stock cats out of their. by using Tbird88's downtubes and high flow cats. While you are changing the downtubes port the exhaust manifolds out.

Then a new fuel pump. a 190 or 255 lph model.

Add a 5% overdrive pulley on the SC. and a intercooler fan.

Then a raised top if you have any money left.

Then save up for good deals on a used Maf, injectors,throttlebody, and other Magnum Powers products when guys start going to the Whipple SC system and sell off their M90 hardware.

Or you could just do the air silencer and exhaust. Then Start saving up for your Whipple conversion.

Yes remove air silencer,,,Forgot to mention that.

I'd just make sure the car is running right first before doing any mods.

A 190-255lph fuel pump is cheap insurance as well.

Exhaustwise Id definately get something done. Remove stock cats and resonator and replace with high flow cats and a magnaflow resonator..Or even no cats. The rear part of the exhaust isnt nearly as restrictive as the front half.

An Intercooler fan..Yup
5% OD pulley
and a ProM 80mm Mass air. This comes with a filter and is onsale at pro M for $199 A steal if you ask me..So you may want to put this on top of your modlist even..

You might be able to get all this done for around $600 if you do not reinstall cats and just replace resonator. Id say that package would be biggest bang fo rthe buck

Sorry I wasnt more specific before but I just feel a good tuneup goes a long way:O)

Thanks for all the ideas, but what is the whipple conversion that you guys mentioned. I know that it has to do with the supercharger but could somebody be more specific?

this may sound like dumb question question to yall but i just bought an 89 sc and was wondering what exactly the air silincer is and how do a remove it.

thanks

bustedbird said:
After my embarassing loss to the Lebaron, I need some help. I need to know what will give me the most bang for my buck. I have roughly $600 to spend and need more horsepower. Any suggestions?

P.S. The car is stock except for cat-back exhaust.

Buy a used Zex dry nitrous kit and use the 60 HP nozzel.

David

Thank all of you for the info, I think I know what I need to do now. My car is going to be sitting for a while so I can change the valve cover gaskets. I say a while because I'm not a master mechanic, but I'll get-r-done. Thanks again!

Didn't notice if someone gave you the info you asked for on the air silencer... it is a "box" kind off that sits below the air filter box as far as I remember. It is a bit of a clunky plastic think with two 3" (?) long ends.

As for $600 to increase power... your a bit limited, I started out thinking I could get away with that several $1000s ago. If you have an '89-'93 you might be able to run a 10% pulley.

Thanks for the help with the air silencer. Wezar gave me a link to FAQ that helped me out enough so i took mine out last night. Now im just waiting for my luk clutch to come in. Was supposed to be here wed. but some guiness at dialaclutch decided not to put my aprtment number on the shipping info. I think im gonna call and see if i can get my shipping refunded or sumtin. Its torture not having my sc specially since i have to drive my sentra that i bought for my fiance. Its killing me. Well ne ways. I'm tryin to decide what i should do to the sc while shes down for a couple of days. Im prob just gonna give her an oil change and i think im gonna go with a cooler thermostat. Any other suggestions.

ty Mike

Back