is my supercharger toasted...

ThePikey

allright here goes... cuz this has been one poopy week...

monday morning my starter locked up... towed home replaced... no biggie..

wed. morning on my way home from work my waterpump snapped and went out.. now since i wasnt that far from home i limped it home (engine only got hot when sitting at a light) so i remove all the crap and put a new water pump on.. now during the process i spun the supercharger pully just for smiles and giggles... and it spun freeely... anywa since i had to wait a few hours for the new water pump to come in i went to bed... got up later in the day and tried to finish the job (this was when i was spinning the super charger.) well i ran out of daylight and time (had to go to work) so i bolted the top of the supercharger back on so nothing would get inside of it that night...

well i come home the next morning... now thurs... and went to finish the job... as i was putting new gator back belts on... i noticed that my SC didnt spin anymore... it was kind of locked up... so i pulled the top back off found nothing inside of it... and went on with finishing up the WP job. well went i went to start the car gave a horrid horrible rubbing noise from the SC. i couldnt figure any of it out... so i pulled the SC off the car. sat it on the work bench in the garage. it takes some serious force now to spin the SC...

ive looked inside of it and have found nothing in there blocking it at all... and it really doesnt look like anything is rubbing...

so im looking for any ideas as to what i may have done to my precious SC

any help would be appreciated... thanks

You dropped something in the SC, or used the wrong bolt to put the top on, denting the case, is my guess without seeing it personally.

Jeff

checked inside... found nothing.. have the supercharger off the engine.. also case is in tact with no dents...
i can post pics but i need to know what exactly to take some pics of... since the SC is off the car and in the garage

Does it turn like it's just dragging, or is it just every few degrees that it "catches". The dent I am refering to would be because of a top bolt being driven too far into the case and would deform a small area where the rotors turn, so you wouldn't see it.

Jeff

sounds highly possible... since i first put the wrong bolt in one of the front holes... ok.. any ways to fix it? or do i need to look at getting a new one?

Does it "catch" like I described before? Or does it continually drag? Did you happen to install a 10% overdrive pulley?

Jeff

Take the top off and feel the area inside the case where the bolt holes go and see if you feel a bump. If so then you need a new case at the least. A imagine that the rotor is tosted as well. Aluminum galls real easy. Start looking for a new SC you can find them for about $100 with no problem.

Jeff

yep.. ive started looking for a new one already.... i feel like a bonehead for fugging up mine like this.. but ya live and ya learn

hold on there, one last thing............did you at any point tighten the SC pulley? sometimesyou can overtighten and the back of the pulley will rub the SC snout. Back the SC nut off a little bit and your good.

let us know what happens. hopefully its something dumb :cool:

never touched the SC pully 'cept to remove the belt and put on a new one since i had it all apart (gatorbacks no less)

ive bidded on a couple on ebay...
one includes the SC, intercooler and both IC tubes...

the other includes the throttle body and IC tubes.. but not the IC itself

either way im getting extra parts that will end up in the garage collecting dust til i decide to do something with my busted SC.... i wonder if there is a local machine shop (in st.louis) that could smooth that nipple (cant think of anything else to call it) out... then sell that sc and the other extra parts i wont need

I really doubt you could have it done and the SC still boost right you will have a lot of leakage in that area. The rotor tips will also be galled. to put it simply I wouldn't feel right about sending a blower out like that.

Jeff

Back