Broke the nut in the middle of the rear wheel

derekhay316

Just got back from quite a fun little drive home. I noticed the rear passenger side brake grinding so i pulled over to take a look and i saw that my wheel was almost falling off. I jacked up the back and took the center cap off and a huge piece of metal fell out. It broke from the part of the car that is located in the center of the 5 lugs. Sorta looks like a bolt. Any idea how to fix this or what i'm even talking about? I'll get a pic of the piece that broke later tonight.

racecougar said:
Sounds like you broke the end of the halfshaft.

-Rod

Yeah I took a look at my manual and sorta figured that out. Is that a big job to replace? Another thing is that about 2 hours before this happened i got a wheel alignment done. Could this wheel alignment cause this to happen? I found it kinda odd that it happened soon after.

Heh...I'd say the biggest part of the job would be removing that nut from the end of it, but that part is already taken care of. You'll need another halfshaft and a new nut from Ford.

I don't know what the alignment shop could have done to cause that to happen, but that is one heck of a coincidence.

-Rod

I would think such a failure would be due to movement in the shaft end in relation to the hub. Possibly a loose nut on the end of the shaft, or a bad rear wheel bearing allowing movement. Then aggressive driving might impart a shock load that snaps the end of the shaft off.

Back