about underdrive pulleys

They spin the water pump & alternator slower, thereby using up less of the engine's horsepower. Drawback is that the slower spinning components can be overworked. If you have an aftermarket stereo system with a large amplifier, the stock alternator can get overloaded. Likewise, if your engine is making a lot more horsepower than stock, it generates more heat. The water pump "could" have a harder time cooling the engine sufficiently.
From what I've been told, it's a nice mod in the later stages of your mods. That means there are other less expensive ways to gain more horsepower first.
Hope this helps.

they slow down your accessories and gives you few more hp.really you get most power from your switching crank pulley.all my mustangs that was the only one i switched,any couple years ago i did my sho's.water pump and alt. and crank and i wish i didn't do those.cuz now if i sit in traffic,car doesn't run hot but it warms up alil and also i have nice stereo in it and sitting at a light at night time with boom box going my lights get dim.really just need the crank.if i do my super coupe that is only one i'm putting on.and the companies always say you get 10-15 hp.they dyno'd mustangs before and after and if i remember right it's like 4-7 hp.and i know the k&n panel filter blows it only gives you 1 hp in dyno.and in i think it was like 8-10,000 miles a regular paper filter flows more air.even after you clean one paper flowed more. remember i said panel filters not cones.ya but for cheap few hp do the crank pulley.leave the other 2 off.i wish they just sold the crank pulley.

Underdrives vs. hp

mcate said:
The water pump "could" have a harder time cooling the engine sufficiently.
Last time I checked, it was the radiator that cooled the engine.

I have underdrives on my car. I think they are over rated. I knew that when I bought'em, so I'm not sorry I put'em on.

I have a bunch of mods on my car (14.250 @ 97.6) and have never had an overheating problem caused by the pulleys.

The Alt. has never had a hard time keeping up with my electrical demands. I currently have a smallish stereo, but will be adding a big amp & sub soon. I'll see how the the Alt. acts then. I'm not a Boom Guy, I just like ACCURATE low bass. I don't anticipate any Alt. problems, even with the big amp (Kenwood KAC-929).

68COUGAR

I've had ASP underdrives on my SC for about 3 years and there were no negative issues with cooling or the charging system from the pulleys. I think they are one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do to an SC.

David

mcate said:
Last time I checked, the water pump pumps the water through the radiator.

um no, the water pump cools your windshield on hot days with those jet thingys , the underdrives are great because i dont know how to drive a 5-speed and keep the RPMs revved up like the ricers do and Im always burning up the P/S fluid, this way I only change it once every 2 months :)

Back